Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Yesterday

So, Eily (Ceci and Henry's friend) lent Ceci the movie Black Beauty a few weeks ago. Ceci had been sort of getting into horses, so we thought she might like it. An understatement. She has decided she wants to be Black Beauty (or Back Booty as she says) for Halloween. Henry was going to be the brown horse, "Ginga". (Pronounced Jinja.) You know, British for "Ginger." That's how they say it in the movie, so that's how he said it. Anyway, he decided he wanted to be a tree, and now, since the fireman came to visit at school, he wants to be a fireman. Ceci still wants to be "Back Booty." So she and I are at Target yesterday to try and formulate a Black Beauty costume as well as get a new car seat for the beefcake baby Malcolm. (Heretofore referred to as BBM) and we decide to saunter (canter?) down to the Halloween costumes. We unearth one of those horse costumes where the person wearing it puts his/her legs in the back legs of the horse and it looks like he/she is riding the horse. Of course Ceci wants to try it on. She was disappointed that it was brown and therefore Ginger and not "Back Booty," but she wore it anyway. Let me stop here and inform you that she recently learned to gallop like a pony in dance class. They do this little gallop and smack their tush.
So, she decides she wants this costume, and she also wants to wear it out of the store. Since it saves me having to figure out how to make a horse costume, I agree, and we start walking back to the clothing section to put back the black pants and shirt I was going to use for her Black Beauty costume. The horse costume makes her walk a little slow, so I say, "Come on, Ceci." She says, "No, I'm Ginger." and insists I call her Ginger for our remaining time in the store. So I say, "Okay, giddy'ap Ginger." and she proceeds to do her dance-gallop-tushie-smack through the store. When we get to the clothing area and she sees me putting her Black Beauty "costume" back, she says, "Mommy, what are you doing?" When I tell her, she decides she doesn't want the "Ginger" costume, and instead wants me to make her a Black Beauty costume because, "Back Booty's a girl." (He's not.) and "Ginger's a boy." (She's not.) So, anyone know how to make a horse head?

On a slightly related note, later that day, I was sitting on the futon, feeding the BBM, and I heard the neighbor's dog barking riotously. (Which he never does) So I get up to lock the door, and I happen to glance out the window. When I do, I see a camel, yes, a CAMEL, walking down the street. I knew you wouldn't believe me, so I took a picture:




Apparently, this guy raises them on a farm outside Live Oak (where else?).

No comments: