Monday, November 19, 2007

On the plus side, I ate mashed potatoes for lunch.

Well, we are almost through our three weeks of affliction. I am wrapping things up with a root canal on an infected tooth. It is so bad, he could only do half of it today, and he will finish it next Monday. I have never had a root canal before, so I was a little nervous this morning. At the same time, I had been in so much pain that I was relieved to be getting it over with. If you've never had one, they have to put one of those awkward dental dam things on your face. I almost asked her to take a picture of me. Between the dam and the safety glasses, I felt ridiculous. I think the dam was the worst part, really. I had hardly any pain during the actual root canal. I gripped those armrests like they were going to fly away, though. I was so tense, that afterward I felt as though I was going to collapse. I got home and just made Ceci lay in bed with me and watch Black Beauty because I couldn't stand to do anything. Then I took 4 ibuprofen and in an hour felt better. Then I was driving to Henry's school for his Thanksgiving parade (pictures to come...), but first had to swing by the library to return a dvd that I thought I had already returned, but apparently I just returned an empty case because I found the dvd under the dvd player. Anyway, after the library, I am waiting at a light, it turns green, I start to go, Malcolm starts to cry, so I reach back to rub his cheek, I get through the intersection and realize I am not holding onto the steering wheel. Good thing my alignment is good. I guess that is why you shouldn't operate heavy machinery while taking large doses of painkillers.

So, as I mentioned, Henry's school had a Thanksgiving parade. I forgot my camera, but Meredith took a few pictures that I'll try to get from her. The kids looked like they weren't having any fun. Henry looked a little morose, and Eily could hardly see past the brim of her giant white "bonnet." Ceci got her feelings hurt when some lady told her she couldn't play with the cars because of the parade. I totally identified with Ceci. I remember that feeling when some strange adult you don't know reprimands you. She got this little frowny face and tears started rolling down her cheeks. Maybe if her mother had been more attentive, she wouldn't have gotten in trouble.

So between the steering wheel and the inattentiveness, I guess I'm 0 for 2 today.

Nana bought the kids two new movies, Flushed Away and Ratatouille. Because these movies are both about rats, the children have begun scurrying around on all fours and hiding under random pieces of furniture.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone looking for a few gift ideas this holiday season? I have some ideas. I won't get on my soapbox about the excess of the holiday season, but I will say, if you are looking to give, here are some ideas...

dailyapples.com
For just $4, you can send a box of "nostalgic candy" to a US serviceman or servicewoman. Send it by Dec. 3 to have it arrive by Christmas. I haven't checked this out yet, but I will. I saw it in a magazine.

thehungersite.com
They have all kinds of fair trade/handmade/sustainable materials type things. You can also pay to send girls in Afghanistan to school or goats for Rwandan families or a high efficiency stove for Darfur refugees. When you buy their goods, you also fund a certain number of cups of food for the hungry. Check out their Tanzanian candlesticks. I recently bought those for some friends who got married, and they are beautiful. (The friends and the candlesticks.)

changingthepresent.org
This site offers over 30 causes to donate to with the click of your mouse. It will send a card of your choice to the person in whose name you are donating.

parkeru.org
This is just the site of some people I know who lost their son to Leukemia just this past Saturday. He was the same age as Ceci. I knew the mother, Jamie, in high school. It was an 8 month battle, and I'm sure they have a mountain of debt. This is not tax deductible or anything like that. These are just good people who lost their little boy. There is a place on the website where you can make a direct donation to their account through paypal. If you can't donate, please pray for the family. I can not imagine the pain and grief they must be experiencing.

That's all for now. I will post some pictures soon!

No comments: