Sunday, January 06, 2008

these small hours


Yea!  Malkie baby slept through the night last night!  He slept for 10 hours or something.  Unfortunately it is because he rolled over onto his belly.  Ahh!  SIDS!  But he rolls over on his own!  What did I do with the other babies at this age?  I think they must have stayed on their backs.  I will remove the bumper pad, I guess.  When I was in middle school and a Red Cross Certified babysitter extraordinaire, they told us to put babies to sleep on their bellies.  But that was, like, 20 years ago.  Wow, that was 20 years ago.  I am actually old enough to make that statement and be referring to something I actually remember happening.  Sheesh.

Well, many of you are not aware that, wonderful wife that I am, I planned and successfully threw (with much help from Meredith and Angie) a 
surprise New Year's Eve/ Birthday party for Patrick.  (He turned 30 this Jan. 1.)  We had Tony Cordova's smart little jazz band play and it was all very swanky and grown up. 

We have been working ext
ra hard around the house here.  Patrick finished the cabinet doors and we have been moving stuff and purging and moving some more.  The kids have been putting up with us.  Henry loves throwing things out, so he has been making piles of his toys and stuffing them under the table in his room.  Great.  I guess this is what you do at the new year.  Clean stuff out, start new routines, think of ways to make things easier and to enjoy life more.  I don't generally make resolutions, but I guess these things are like resolutions for me.  I mean, without saying it, I have essentially made a resolution to keep on top of the housework, get into a regular gym routine, and bathe the kids more regularly.  (Isn't once a week enough?)  So I guess I did make resolutions.  But if I don't follow through, I'm not going to beat myself up about it or anything.  I can't believe another year has gone by.  I can't believe Malcolm already has 2 teeth.  It is going by so fast.  Before I know it, Henry will be in high school.  I guess if I want to make a serious resolution, it would be to appreciate all the little daily goings on.  It will never be like this again.  Sometimes I think that is a blessing.  But as that sage, Ferris Bueller said, "Life comes at you pretty fast.  If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you might miss it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the put the baby-on-its-belly days as well. Wish we could have been there for Patrick's party!

Anonymous said...

It wasn't so long ago...
http://www.lileks.com/institute/mommy/index.html

The Duncans said...

Who are you people? Seriously!