Our Summer 2008 East Coast Tour has come to an end. It was a wild ride, at times. The good news is we got to go to the motherland. The bad news is I forgot my camera. So, I will be piggybacking on the pictures of my relatives. And by piggybacking, I mean stealing them from their facebook pages. However, they haven't posted any yet, so pictures will be coming. Patrick's cousin, Tina, is so on her game, that not only has she already posted on her blog about our visit (not once but TWICE), but she also made me a cd of all the pictures she took while we were there. So I will have some pictures from that visit, at least.
So, we started by driving to Virginia on Monday June 23. Two of my aunts live in the Chesapeake area. We stayed with Aunt Stephie and her family for four days, and while we were there, Henry really started to get comfortable in the pool, putting his face in and swimming (with a floatie). He took a tumble in the waves at the beach and recovered without drama, and had a great time playing with CJ. Ceci marveled everyone with her fake crying and dance routines. Malcolm ate while Stephie ensured he did not choke. Or even gag slightly. Ever. We had a great time, as always. Thank you Frantz family!
That Friday we drove across the great state of Virginia to the Rodi Family Reunion/ Poppop's 80th Birthday celebration at Turf Valley Resort in Ellicot City, MD. We all hung out, ate, swam, etc. On Saturday night we had a dinner and celebration for Poppop's 80th, which was June 8. Emi entertained us with a few songs. For the first song, a song in Italian, Ceci was riveted. For the second song, she was indifferent. By the third song, Ceci had decided it was a competition. Emi would sing, Ceci would sing louder. Emi would pause, Ceci would sing louder, making up words, using some of Emi's words, whatever. I think Friz got it on video. I will try and get him to upload it to youtube. It was hilarious.
We spent Sunday afternoon through Tuesday morning with the Blackmans and Bissets of Baltimore. Tina and Alan hosted a BBQ Sunday night, and we had the chance to visit with Shelley, Jon & Courtney, and Aunt Mary Ruth & Uncle Tom. We went to the Maryland Zoo, 5 adults and 7 kids, on Monday. We got to hear the lion roar, which was a treat. I have never heard a lion roar before. Tina even babysat our 3 kids, (along with her two) so Patrick and I could catch a movie (Get Smart, a great choice) Monday night. After a quick trip and lunch at Ikea on Tuesday, we were on our way. Thank you to the Blackmans!
Home? Not just yet. We extended out trip by 3 days. We (I) just couldn't resist the call of South Jersey. Baltimore is SO CLOSE. In under two hours, we were cruising through the SJ countryside. Some of you more daft readers may be ignorant of the beauty that is South Jersey. If you like farmland and old stuff, I suggest you go. Not all of NJ is an armpit, you know. We ate Jersey corn, a ton of Jersey blueberries, (Malcolm is off them for an indefinite period of time) and cheesesteaks the length of my calf. So good. I did a little thrifting for some fantastic finds (almost satisfied the loss of summer thrifting I am experiencing by not going to North Dakota). I had not been to the Jerz in almost 9 years. Too long, my friends, for I am a South Jersey girl at heart. We stayed with my grandparents, who have a beautiful, peaceful home on the lake in Hammonton (the blueberry capital of the world, it even says so on the sign. Much catchier than the Delaware sign, which boasted tax free shopping) We caught up with Uncle Rich and Aunt Vonnie for a tasty dinner at their house. We had a 3rd of July/ Our Lady of Mt. Carmel party on Thursday with the Rodi side, then hit the road bright and early Friday morning. We had planned to stop in SC, but Patrick wanted to get home. So I struck him a deal. (Rich and Vonnie, you will appreciate this...) Instead of the taking turns driving, I would drive from SC to home while he entertained the kids in the back. (The much harder job). I actually handed over the wheel at about Florida bc I was just too tired, and by then, Malcolm was asleep, and the kids were content with the new movies we bought. (Cheaper than a hotel, right!) So we rolled in at midnight, safe and sound.
Thanks to all that hosted us, and all that are going to be emailing pictures my way so I can post them on the blog. I am sure I will have funny stories to post. My brain is still recovering.
1 comment:
Now I'm inspired to go to South Jersey! But you guys could inspire me to do just about anything. :)
And Alan gets the credit for making the CD.We'll check in for those additional stories! For now, just recover, you & that road trip maniac husband! ;)
Post a Comment