Monday, August 18, 2008

Well, the day came.  What an exciting day it was.  

I woke at 6:00 so I could get a shower in before the Malkie Babester woke up.  At about 7:00 I went in to wake up Henry.  He said, "I'm still sleepy!" and rolled over.  This is beginning already?  He effectively hit the Mommy snooze button.  I gave him 5 more minutes.  Then Nana arrived and all I had to say is, "Nana's here."  He was out of bed so fast...
Patrick had asked him a few days ago if it would help to have a picture of Mommy and Daddy in his pocket when he goes to school.  He said yes and later informed me he would also like a picture of a garbage truck with him.  
So we hustled and bustled out the door, him barely eating his breakfast and me wanting to throw up.  Why am I so nervous?  I'm not the one going to Kindergarden.  We get there, park, and head to the classroom.  It is just Henry, Patrick and I.  I think I see Henry brush a tear off his cheek, but I am not sure.  We get there, and he charges in the door, checking to make sure we are close behind.  I steer him to the cubbies, and he locates his.  Since the cubbies kind of block us from the class, we have a moment to empty his bag, get out his pencil case, and get a quick hug.  He takes the pictures out of his chest pocket and puts it in his pencil case.  I am trying so hard to hold it together.  I say it is time to go find his seat, and he asks us to come with him, so we do.  He finds it and gets to work on the picture he is to color.

As we are leaving, Patrick introduces himself to the teacher, and we quickly head out the door.  We made it!  I start to cry.  Not too much, but noticeably.  A woman walks by and reminds us there is a "Boo Hoo Breakfast" in the performing arts center.  Patrick has to head to work, but I walk over there.  I am slightly crying, but not too much.  I walk in the door expecting to see other tears.  Nope. No one.  But I do see a videocamera.  Great.

So, I figure the camera is the school's.  The thought crosses my mind that it is the local news, but it wasn't very fancy, and out local news is so fancy and all...

So I am talking to the PTA President and crying a little, still the only one, so, naturally, they are filming me.  Great.

I run into a friend, and we start talking about other things, and I calm down.  She leaves and I wander over to the PTA table to sign up.  I am just looking over the form when who approaches me but....the reporter.  Oh, yes, it is the local news.  She says they'd like to interview me.  I said, "Is it because I am the only one crying?"  She said yes.  She interviews me, and I have no idea what I am saying.  All I know is that I had been crying, had on hardly any makeup, had my hair is a messy bun, and was wearing the dress I wore to church yesterday.  And now I'm going to be on tv.  And, here's the kicker, and I didn't realize this until I got home, but I had forgotten to brush my teeth before we left.  Nice.  

 My mom saw it on the news this evening, and she said it was good,  but I missed it.  I am hoping to catch it on the later news.

All this before 8:00 am.

I took Ceci to school at 9:00.  She hesitated a little at the door, but I gave her a hug, and she went for it.  Didn't even look back or say goodbye.  That's Ceci though, she makes up her mind to do something, and she is doing it.  Now. 

So, I won't drag you through the rest of my Oh-so-exciting day.  I will say both the kids enjoyed school and survived.  They are even looking forward to going back.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy, they are in school!
We gotta get a video link to your big TV break.

Rob Larkin said...

so what do you think this whole "school" thing will do to henry's aspirations towards becoming a refuse collection and disposal engineer?
i wanted to be one myself. it was my dream. my dad could drive the truck, me and my brother could ride on the back. perfect.
then that schoolin' got my head all full of fancy ideas and goin to college and whatnot. and look at me now. adrift in the world with no job and no plans. homeless and unemployed.
i tell ya, with this whole "stable family environment" and it's "importance placed in education," the only chance that boy has is dropping out 10 years from now. but by then i fear it will be too late. those damn liberals will have gotten their way and there won't be no refuse to pick up and dispose of, it'll be nutin but recyclables.

aly said...

Don't worry, Rob, we are working hard to make sure his aspirations stay low. No fancy ideas around here.