Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I brought this upon myself

So, I have this really chubby baby.  I mean, a year old and 30 lbs. I'm pretty sure.  And I also have this son in kindergarden.  Now, up until a week ago, I would take him to school and pick him up every day.  Normal.  Let me explain to you what this entailed.  
7:00 Rush 3 children into a teeth-brushing-potty-going-clothes-wearing frenzy
7:20 Herd said children into family van amidst much yelping, buckling of seats, and wails of, "I need my kitty!"
7:24 heave into seat and buckle aforementioned chubby baby a.k.a BBM (beefcake baby Malkster)
7:25 - 7:27 drive to school
7:28 get myself out of van
7:28:30 open trunk, retrieve stroller
7:29 open stroller
7:29:30 unbuckle and heave out of seat BBM
7:30 heave BBM down into stroller and buckle
7:31 unbuckle Princess Wheresmykitty.
7:31: hustle children out of car, close and lock doors
7:32 - 7:40 walk children from the church next door where we park to Henry's classroom.  It is not a terribly long walk, but it takes a long time.
7:42 hugs, kisses, and a quick prayer at the door
7:43 Princess Alwaysthirsty insists on getting a drink from the water fountain
7:45 bell rings.  we get locked inside campus and have to take the long way out.
7:53 Arrive back at car
7:54 heave BBM out of stroller, into car, and buckle as he screams and squirms
7:56 open trunk, fold up stroller, heave in stroller
7:57 thank God Princess Independence can buckle herself in
8:00 home again 

Then I do this all over again, more or less, at 1:30 to pick him up.

So, amazingly, I developed some lower back pain 2 weeks ago, a pulled muscle, really.  Therefore, Patrick has lightened my load by taking Henry in the morning (YEA!) and arriving to work late.  He just stays later in the afternoon.  Oh, but it is worth it.  Now I only have to do that whole spectacle of a routine in the afternoons, and today I cheated and did parent pickup, which means I do the drive through.  My back thanks me, even if my gas tank doesn't.

6 comments:

mhoyer said...

not to mention it's still like 100 freakin' degrees outside

aly said...

Oh, YES, how could I forget that. With 100% humidity.

Valerie said...

Yeah, why wouldn't you do parent pick up??? I mean, those nice safety patrols will open your door for you.

Anonymous said...

BBM can walk now, get him on the treadmill or at least pushing a weighted sled. It would be good for you both!

Anonymous said...

no bus?

aly said...

no bus, we live too close. And to quote my mother-in-law, "Nothing good happens on a school bus."