Thursday, September 25, 2008

menagerie

This happens at our house a lot.  I'm not the only one, right?

It is after dinner.  Malcolm climbs on the sofa and starts pushing buttons on the answering machine.  I sit behind him so he doesn't fall off.  This is the first time I have sat since I picked up Henry from school at 2:00 and sat in the car pickup.  I kind of want to zone out, but I can't because my "pets" start climbing all over me.

Ceci:  Mewow, mewow.
Henry:  Ruff...ruff, ruff.  (Pants hot stinky breath about 4 inches from my face with tongue hanging out of his mouth oh so appetizingly.)
Malcolm: (imitates gross panting with tongue hanging out, only somehow it's not as gross.  Maybe because his tongue is so much smaller.  Then he bangs his little hands on phone.)
Henry:  Ruff, ruff, ruff.  (does some crazy, inexplicable hand motions)
Me:  I don't follow.
Henry:  When I say, "Ruff, ruff, ruff," it means that the rocket is going up, up, up and is going to orbit the Earth and fly through the stars, then land in the ocean and explode.
Me: Oh.
Malcolm: (picks up phone and screams loudly into the wrong end) Aaaahhhhh! 
Ceci:  (giggles) Mewow!  That means the kitty wants food and water in her dish.
Malcolm: Aaaahhhhhh!
Henry: Ruff, ruff, RUUUFFF!
Me:  Well, I just made dinner, so kitty will have to get her own food and water.  (Kitty pouts)  Henry, DON'T LICK ME!  Ceci, Mommy left some pretend food in the kitchen.
Malcolm:  AAAAAAHHHHHH!   Awoooo?   (starts banging the phone handset onto the receiver.)   AAAAAHHHH!
Ceci:  (giggling at Malcolm) 
Henry:  Ruff, ruff.  (Rubs his face on my leg, then goes for Malcolm.)
Me:  Henry, don't lick Malcolm, either.
Malcolm:  AWOOOO!  (I think this means hello.)
Ceci:  MEWOW! (digs knee into my thigh.)
Me:  No pets on the sofa!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is... this is amazing! thank you!

Carissa said...

Ahhhh, yes! This is very familiar. Ella's decided to imitate a dog this week. She had me throw a ball to her in the community pool this week and kept fetching it. Whatever keeps them entertained, right?

Anonymous said...

yes, my life exactly. Oh, and the house pictures -- i thought mine was the only one that looked like that. thanks for posting the truth.