Friday, October 24, 2008

money spent

I want to update on the last few weeks, I really do.  I am just too tired.  This is UF's homecoming weekend, so all public schools had the day off today.  It was rainy, so instead of attending the homecoming parade, we went to see "Beverly Hills Chihuahua."  It was...entertaining.  For the most part.  Can I ask you how, in this time of economic whatnot, how any average American family is supposed to afford going to the movies?  It should not cost $30.  That is absurd.  This is why we never go.  I mean, people must be going because Hollywood is still going strong, but seriously.  That is our whole entertainment budget for the month.  Or it would be if we factored entertainment into our budget.  Or even had a budget that we successfully followed.  Anyway, for $30 I can get an entire new outfit at Old Navy.  Or 3 dinners at home.  Or one meal for Patrick and I at New Deal Cafe (a favorite place of mine).  Or new Target shoes for both Henry and Ceci.  Or new curtains for their bedroom windows.  Alas, we blew $30 on a movie about a spoiled Chihuahua who gets lost in Mexico, and Patrick spent most of the time chasing Malcolm up and down the hallway outside the theater.

3 comments:

Steph said...

We rarely do movies. I hate spending money on it, too. I really don't like taking the only three hours Friz and I may have together on a weekend and going to a theater and sitting next to each other in the dark, not talking. Forget about it! Now take Karl, he's the kind that supports the industry. I think he goes to at least one movie a week. Of course, it's only $8 for one ticket. When we need to get out with the kids, I like using the chuck e cheese coupons and going there for an hour or so and letting the kids run around. Some of those coupons are great. I got $40 worth of tokens once for $10. Look for the coupons, you can get a whole meal and tokens for about $20!

Sorry to hear you all had the nasties.

Kathy said...

they have special times that it's really cheap to go with special kids movies and old movies.. and the best place to go in town is the gator cinema by toysRus.. its 5 bucks rather than 9 to get in for adults. and they dont tax on their food.

theparakeet said...

at least remember to pop that popcorn at home and take a big purse :)