Thursday, November 06, 2008

three highlights

Malcolm was playing quietly in his room while I made the bed/got dressed/ cleaned up breakfast Monday morning.  I hear him sort of cry out, kind of in frustration, so I peeked in to see if he needed some help with something.  I see him sitting on the floor, and his shirt is soaked in a circle.  On the floor in front of the dresser, I notice a huge puddle of clear liquid.  For an instant I wonder what the liquid could be, but I realize almost immediately what it is.  Baby oil.  He had climbed up the handles of his dresser and knocked the baby oil down, and he was slipping and sliding all over the room, unable to get anywhere or play with anything because he was covered in baby oil.  I am just relieved I have tile.  I can't imagine trying to get baby oil out of carpet.

Yesterday in the car, Henry was saying something about strangers, and I heard Ceci say, "Henry, strangers don't live in Florida. They live in Africa."  Yikes.

Also, Henry got his report card on Monday.  I was showing it to Nana, I think, and we were saying something about what part of it means, and he said, "And once you learn all that, then you get to be president or something, I think.  I don't know, but I am pretty sure..."  I guess the election was on everyone's mind.  So, by the end of the semester, he should be president...  His teacher also said he has "a fantastic interest and enthusiasm for learning."  


4 comments:

theparakeet said...

uh-oh, sounds like you're going to have to take the whole family to Africa so there are no more strangers.

Steph said...

To think of beefy Malcolm covered in baby oil, sliding around the floor! I would have liked to have seen that!

Alan & Tina said...

With a name like "Kee," there could be some fun, 19th century-type campaign slogans developed for Henry's run for the presidency.

LuraLynn said...

I think it's amazing how our children listen to the world around them. Jacob has been interested in the election since this summer. They even had a mock election in school and he go to vote. My favorite though is this: "Will you vote for me if I want to become president?" I told him that everybody we know would vote for him. Maybe Henry and Jacob could run on the same ticket.

I think that Henry will be fine in school, despite all of your concerns. I think that public school gives our children the tools they need to succeed in life and teaches them to be resilient and bounce back from negative happenings on the playground.

I love school conferences. It's great to hear how wonderful our children are and we aren't the ones doing the telling.