Sunday, January 25, 2009

lessons and confessions

We were in the car on the way home tonight, and there was this guy on the side of the road getting something out of his car.  Henry says, "What is that guy doing?" sounding just like his Daddy.  We cracked up.  

Also, I thought the sermon at church was really good today.  If you have 45 minutes to kill, check it out.  (If it is not up yet, check back tomorrow.)  It was about when Jesus turns water into wine.  I think in a lot of ways, it sums us what our church is about.  

One of the things Ron mentioned was how Jesus' first miracle was witnessed not by those in high places, but by servants.  The first ones to see that he was legit were basically in the lowest place in society.  Jesus came just as much for the people who didn't have it all together.  The lepers, the chronically sick, the hopeless. The meek, the poor in spirit, those in mourning...  The people who were nothing in everyone else's eyes.

Also, while reading through the passage (John 2:1-10), I was struck with the fact that this miracle, like feeding the 5000 or casting the nets and catching all those fish, is one of the Lord taking care of the basic needs of his people. I guess one could argue that wine is not really a necessity, but that depends on who you ask.  Whatever it is, it was like the Lord was gently pointing out to me that he wants to take care of my needs, too.  I think he won't because I haven't done this or lived up to my side of the bargain on that.  He says he will.  Ron says we are often more impressed with our own sin than with the grace of the Lord. I say, "Yes, guilty."

I feel this is a good time to confess that I haven't read my daily bible since January 11.



5 comments:

Steph said...

Whaaat? You'r missing all the good stuff! Jacob and Joseph, now we are into the woe of Job. Am I the only one doing this??? Come now, I know you can. Don't let it get any more behind. Then you will never want to try and catch up. Too bad we don't see each other daily. I could pester you to read your bible, you could pester me to exercise...

Elizabeth Bradley said...

"often more impressed with our own sin than with the grace of the Lord"... what a truthful, thought-provoking statement.

Recently searched unsuccessfully for you on facebook and then on a whim decided to try google... yeah, we still can't believe we're in Prague either. Began praying about it since Fall 2005, arrived Fall 2008... it's definitely been a journey!

aly said...

Ok, I started back up this morning. I am now on Jan 14th. I am going to try to have a marathon session tonight.

Alan & Tina said...

I am a little behind, too, girls...about 6 chapters. Our daily read versions are slightly different, so I've read Job already and will finish Genesis by the end of the week. I have "marathon sessions" at least once a week, Aly. Just thinking about you and Steph is a GREAT encouragement. THANK YOU for your tender post.

theparakeet said...

well as far as jesus coming to the unrighteous i want to mention yesterdays oprah. i thought ted haggard was really great