One thing I was not prepared for was my children's unbridled devotion. I am their favorite playmate. Every work of art, whether grandiose in scale with cray-pas and glitter and a construction paper mat, or scribble done with the flat tip of a mini-golf pencil found in the bottom of the pocket on the passenger side door and drawn on the back of an old Publix receipt while we wait in the drive thru line for empanadas at Mi Apa, is "for you, Mommy." Every question can be answered, every problem solved, every wound healed by Mommy. Sometimes it seems like a burden. Another picture, another question, another booboo. Sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. Why do they draw me all these pictures? What about everybody else? Won't daddy get his feelings hurt? Why do they like me so much? And there it is. Part of me knows that I love them way more than they will ever love me. I was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was how much they would love me. It is astounding.
5 comments:
How sweet. You're going to make me cry...
oh, that is so sweet. i'm up in the middle of the night - so this was great to read
I am dreading the day my kids don't think I'm the coolest thing to walk the earth.It'll be rough when you know they are totally aware of your faults.
I do a lot of suggesting."Grandpa would love that picture . Why don't we send it to him?" etc.
I am with you, Kim! I know those days are not too far off...
It is really exhausting being the Queen of the Universe. But if we didn't weren't the queens of our kids' universe, what would we do? Jacob just mailed me a letter from school and it ended with "You're the best Mom ever." Gotta love it.
Post a Comment