Sunday, June 20, 2010

born ready

On Saturday, Henry had his first swim meet. He was very nervous and didn't want to go. We told him if he didn't like it, he wouldn't have to do it again, but he had to at least try it. He was pretty nervous. Henry likes to know how things are going to play out, and he will ask 100 questions to that end. Also, he will be where he needs to be long before he needs to be there. When I was 20 weeks pregnant with him, we went for the ultra sound where they determine the sex and do all the measurements and stuff. Except they couldn't measure his head because he was so far down. He was already in position and ready to be born. At 20 weeks. Well, he was the same way at this swim meet. He would be at his lane as soon as he knew it was getting remotely close to his race. One time, I guess he asked his coach if it was his turn. She responded, "You race in 7 more heats." He walked over to me, and I said, "What's wrong?" He said, "Coach Miss LB told me that I race in 7 heats, but I don't even know what that means." I said, "Me neither." We eventually figured it out. I guess we all need to learn the lingo...

So, here Henry is right before his first race.
and at the end...
He got fifth place in his first race. It was the only one (of three) that he didn't come in last place. Don't get me wrong, he was awesome. He was in the 8 and under, so he was on the younger side of the group, and it was his first meet. Most of the boys his age have been doing this for two or more summers. We are very proud of out little man.

Keeping the other kids busy was also a challenge. Ceci did document our morning at the Northeast Pool.

There were many many more of, with subjects as fascinating as the box of Cheese-its, a deck of artfully assorted Uno cards, and other people's behinds. I thought you wouldn't be as interested in those.
That's all for now. Off to Nana's pool!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Great Job Henry!!! and Mom and Dad.

theparakeet said...

Yay, Henry!
When I was in Eighth grade (yes, that's right) my mom decided Ben and I should join a swim team - talk about behind :)
I didn't come in last one race ALL SUMMER and Man, did me and my dad celebrate!!
Henry has a long way to go....