6:30 pm, Wednesday night: Mommy is on bed duty because Daddy is not home. This almost never happens. She foolishly sets the plan in place for the evening. It (the plan) looks like this:
6:30 Malcolm showers and gets in pjs.
6:40 Ceci showers and gets in pjs while Malcolm reads books in bed.
6:50 Henry showers and gets in pjs while the other two read in bed.
I fold and put away laundry in between, and all kids are in bed with lights out at 7.
Here is how it really went:
6:30pm: Malcolm gets in shower. I start washing him. Ceci comes to the door and asks me a hundred questions about some things. Henry comes to the door and asks for tape.
6:40 Ceci wants to read Malcolm a book. He only wants Transformers. Ceci stands there staring at the bookshelf saying, "But I can't find Transformers. How about this one." To which Malcolm says, "NO. TRANSFORMERRRRRRS." This goes on until I walk over to the bookshelf and pluck Transformers off of it.
6:45 Ceci begins to read. I walk out to the living room. It is covered in DVDs and Band Aids. I tell Henry to get in the shower. My phone rings.
6:50 I am talking on the phone. The kids are running up and down the hallway.
6:55 I put Malcolm to bed and tell Henry to get in the shower. Ceci comes out to the living room with me to clean up.
6:57 Malcolm gets out of bed. I put him back.
7:00 I go out to the laundry room to switch the laundry.
7:04 I come back into the house to hear Henry yelling, "Mommy! I neeeeed you!" I walk down the hallway to see him standing naked and soaking wet in the bathroom. He says "I have a rash."
7:05 Malcolm gets out of bed and comes out into the hallway. I shoo him back in.
7:06 I get Henry a towel and send him to my room.
7:07 I hear a bang in Malcolm and Henry's room. I go put Malcolm back in bed. He cries and says, "I'n wersty..." I bring him some water.
7:08 I go into my room to try to look at Henry's rash. Ceci follows me in. "Can I take a shower now."
7:08:32 I head to the bathroom to start the shower. Ceci follows.
7:08:58 I say, "Ceci, do you have a rash?"
7:09 "No, Mommy."
7:09:02 "No, Mommy, I don't."
7:09:03 "No, Mommy."
7:09:05 "No, Mommy."
7:09:07 "Okay!" I get shower started.
7:09:10 I walk back in the room to try to look at the rash.
7:09:11 "Mommy, will you switch the shower thingy?" Ceci says.
7:09:12 "Just slide it over." I say while examining the rash.
7:09:20 "I can't. Mommy, will you come switch it."
7:09:22 I mumble, "Just a minute." I ask Henry if it itches. Looks like heat rash.
7:09:23 "Mommy, will you come switch it?" She must not have heard me. I open the computer to google "child rash leg."
7:09:24 "Mommy, will you come switch it?" Malcolm gets out of bed.
7:09:25 "Malcolm, get back in bed!" I say.
7:09:25 "Mommy, will you come switch it?"
7:09:26 I ask Henry to go switch the shower thingy.
7:10 I am comparing a rash on Henry's legs with pictures on the internet. Still looks like heat rash. Ceci is finally settled in the shower. Malcolm gets out of bed.
7:11 We discuss the rash.
7:16 Henry puts on some undies and goes out to pick out a book. I fold the laundry all over my bed.
7:19 Ceci asks for help rinsing her hair. I go to help her.
7:20 Malcolm opens his door and quickly shuts it.
7:21 I put Malcolm back in bed.
7:24 Ceci gets out of the shower.
7:26 Ceci goes to get jammies on. I go to try to clean up the kitchen.
7:40 I go down to my room to braid Ceci's hair.
7:42 As we walk out of my room, Malcolm opens his door, shoots us a few times with a toy gun, and shuts the door.
7:43 Henry, Ceci, and I settle on sofa to read.
7:44 Malcolm comes out.
7:45 I bring Malcolm back.
7:46 Henry starts to read his book to us.
7:50 Ceci starts to "read" a book to us. The book is about a wedding.
7:56 Ceci finishes her book.
7:57:11 Henry says, "Mommy, why are some parents divorced?"
7:57:12 I think.
7:57:13 Malcolm comes out carrying a truck book.
7:57:14 "Welllll..." I say.
7:57:15 "Wellll...." says Henry.
7:57:16 "Well, sometimes marriages just stop working." This leads to a discussion.
8:05 I put all kids in bed.
8:10 I walk down the hallway. They are all asleep.
3 comments:
now, i'm tired
reading this makes me tired too, and Ive lived this for years
I laughed out loud throughout this whole post. Maybe it's because you're such a funny and talented writer. Maybe it's because something very similar is going on in my house right at the moment. Either way -- nice post!
Post a Comment