This morning, it was about time to go when Malcolm said, "Can I go outside?"
"Sure," I said as I went into the kitchen to close the window. He usually does a few laps in the courtyard on his bike before school. As I walk out of the kitchen, I glance through the sliding glass door in the dining area. I spot Malcolm in the courtyard, pants down, aiming towards the little bucket that is attached to the back of his tricycle.
"He wouldn't," I thought.
Oh he did.
I ran to the door shouting, "Malcolm! No, no, whatareyoudoning??!!!"
"I go peeps in my bike!"
Of course you do. Makes perfect sense.
After a brief discussion about why we don't pee on our bike, we left for school. On the way there, I realized I had an empty gas tank (The light had been on since Sunday morning!) and I forgot my phone at home. Last time I went to work without my phone, the school called (of course) because they thought I forgot to pick Ceci up. Really, she forgot she was supposed to go to chess club that day. Luckily, after unsuccessfully trying to get a hold of both Patrick and me, they got my mom, who said, "Shouldn't she be at chess club?"
Anyway the rest of the day went well. Malcolm took a nap after school, which rarely happens but is always welcome. The kids helped me make lasagna for dinner. It is the first time I have ever made it with success. I credit that to following Lidia's recipe. Lidia Bastianich, the balding Italian woman who cooks on PBS, is my source for all Italian-American recipes that I did not inherit from my Nanny via Aunt Nancy. Stuffed mushrooms, clams casino, Puttanesca... (that translates to pasta sauce as made by ladies of the evening, by the way), Lidia's got it! I use Lidia's Italian American Kitchen, but I know she has other books as well. I haven't actually made the clams due to my adult onset shellfish allergy.
Also, we just had a grammar conversation over dinner. Homonyms, synonyms, similes, and punctuation.
Kids are awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment