Saturday, February 26, 2011

Florida-style

Picture it: my backyard, warm spring day, kids perched on the tops of their Cozy Coupes (a precarious situation already) watching as a barefoot Mommy pulled on an orange extension cord wrapped around a tree Daddy was chopping down with an axe.  Why was he chopping the tree down?  Well, it was dead, and it's branches kept falling onto the telephone wires right next to it.  I was pulling it away from the wires so it wouldn't snap them when it fell.  All I kept thinking was that we looked like some bad video the utilities department puts out demonstrating how not to remove a dead tree from your yard.  I mean, really, an extension cord?  We couldn't even get a rope?  That's just how we do it in ole' F-L-O-R-I-D-A.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Must have gotten the idea from North Dakota cause that's an old farm trick up there.
Grandpa

Alan & Tina said...

Ahh, yes. That sounds like my homestead philosophy: Use whatever is close by and/or whatever works.