Friday, February 22, 2013

headphones, black boots, kitty helmets

Well, so here's my little tweener.  Can you believe this kid?


He has been hogging my old iPod.  I think at the moment this was taken, he was listening to Benny Goodman.  Followed by Flaming Lips.  A little bit of everything.  He is doing just fine, though.  Building and planning and working on his butterfly garden.  He is obsessed about getting a plant whose name I cannot recall at this time.  The Lowe's guy said it would be in at the end of February, so he asks every weekend if we can go see.  They have the FCAT writing test on Tuesday, which he is totally nervous about.  Nothing makes me want to homeschool my children more than the FCAT.  He was talking to us the other night about one of the strategies for the reading, and I got (disproportionately?) angry that they spend valuable class time on TEST STRATEGIES.  Nothing kills curiosity and interest in literature like a mnemonic designed to help you answer purposefully tricky multiple choice questions.  I digress.

We just try to balance all the sitting and mnemonics with lots of this:



We attended a grown ups only Valentine's Dance to go to a few weekends ago. It was expected to be great fun, but we had to leave early because I wasn't feeling so well.  But the picture turned out nice!



The kids new favorite thing to do is go to the skate park and skate around on their scooters.  The teenagers there just love all the little kids on scooters, and of course they censor their language to keep things appropriate.  (No.)  We try to go before the big kids get out of school.  Notice here, Malcolm is wearing giant black boots.  They are his "Luke Skywalker boots."  There is some Star Wars obsession floating around at the House of Kee.  It was bound to happen.  Ceci needs a new helmet, and she saw a little girl with a kitty helmet that has kitty ears.  Her heart is set on that thing.  I searched at Target today, but it didn't come in her size.  There was a 5+ size, but it just looked too small.  These people have big heads!  I will begin combing the Internet, I suppose.  Maybe by her birthday...


Well, other than that, things are going well.  Patrick is loving his job.  He's full of stories and anecdotes.  Just as he likes to be.  My semester is ho hum.  I have spring break soon, which is good.  I have just been thrifting and decorating as usual.  I will spend my spring break repainting and redecorating my bathroom.  Also, I am hoping to build a desk for the boys bedroom.  I know what I want, I'm just trying to make it more economical.  I have to go check out our used building supply store.  I want to make a simple desk with an industrial flair.  We will see how that goes.  

We are planning on a summer of adventures and getting excited about making that happen.  If anyone knows of a good, cheap place to stay in DC, let me know!  

No comments: