Friday, October 26, 2007

BBM goes to the doctor

Malcolm had his 2 month appointment this week. All was well. He is 13 lbs. 13 oz. and 24 inches long. 90-something percentile all the way. The doctor and I discussed his feeding schedule. This is how that conversation went:

me: So, he wants to eat every 2 hours. It is exhausting. Do I need to wait until he is 4 months to give him cereal?
dr: Well, the AAP recommends 6, but he is a big boy, so I'd say 4 is ok, but no earlier. Do you supplement?
me: Yeah, he gets formula twice a day.
dr: Does he go longer after the formula?
me: No. Still 2 hours.
dr: How much does he drink of the formula?
me: Oh, 4-6 oz.
dr: (with look of awe and wonder) What!?
me: Is that a lot?
dr: Yes! I mean, if he only goes 2 hours, just like when he nurses, then he is probably getting that amount every time he nurses too.
me: So, 4-6 oz. 12 times a day.
dr: Wow. No wonder he's so big.

I'm not going to complain because I'd rather have it this way than the other, but I will say I am not waiting until 4 months to start the rice cereal. So, that is the update on his physical progress. He is very interactive and smiley. He smiles at everyone. I think I may have one of those kids who talks to everyone. Henry and Ceci are more reserved and have to warm up to people. Malcolm seems to smile at anyone and everyone who talks to him. And he's been cooing and "laughing" and blowing bubbles. He rolled over twice the other day on the bed, from his belly to his back. He had been laying there holding his head way up, so I'm not sure if it was just the weight of that massive head pulling him over.

Well, it is 6:30 am, and the Ceece just puttered down the hall. Time to start the day!

No comments: