Every fall, the schoolchildren here get a Friday off for something that is not really a holiday anywhere else in the country, or the world for that matter. But here, there is a run, a parade, and "the worlds biggest student run pep rally" on that day. I definitely don't participate in the run, but since having children, have started attending the parade. I haven't attended the "pep rally" in years. I had no plans to attend it this year. Until Thursday. My good friend Meredith called me and asked, "Does your mom have plans tomorrow night?" I said, "Uh, why?" The ever savvy Meredith had won 6 tickets through a contest in the UF newspaper. She wanted to know if my mom could watch the kids so the Hubs and I could go. So that is how we ended up getting to see a live comedian and world renowned Southern rock band for free. The comedian, a man named Frank Caliendo, was hilarious. He does the best George W. Bush I have ever seen. If you close your eyes and listen, you'd think it was W talking. I was impressed at how well he handled the audience of 50,000. I mean, I have seen some better known comedians completely bomb at Growl. I would have been more than happy to end the evening there. But oh no, not this year. This year they got a band to come that everyone has heard of. I now have the privilege, no the honor, of saying I have been to a concert where people shouted "Freebird" and it wasn't meant as a joke. That's right, people. I saw Skynyrd. They only played 4 songs, but that was more than enough. The first song was some song about a swamp I'd never heard. The audience sat there. Then they played, "What's Your Name?" and people started to tap their feet and hum a little. I said to Patrick, "I don't think this is really a Skynyrd crowd." Then came "Sweet Home Alabama," and the audience was on it's feet. Patrick said, "I think it IS a Skynyrd crowd." That is really the only song by Skynyrd that I like, so I was happy that it was on the playlist. Then, the guy asked for any "requests," and 50,000 people yelled out "Freebird!" Well, 49,999. I didn't say anything. I actually don't care for "Freebird." Or "Stairway to Heaven" or "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" or any of those other endless songs from the era of unnecessarily long songs and cumbersome guitar solos. But I must say, it was real live Americana, standing there in the dark with everyone waving their lighters/ cell phones (no, really) and singing what I have been told is the most requested song ever (or something). For a minute, I actually thought, "Oh no, I'm becoming a Southerner."
Thank God that moment passed.
8 comments:
FREEBIRD!!!!
Do you think that Ben is actually bigger than his baby? I see some weird shadows and I am wondering if its trickery using photoshop.
I am inclined to believe he IS bigger, but I wouldn't imagine that will be the case for long.
Please settle this quandry.
Alvis
Upon further examination of photo #3 in the Hoyer's baptism blog, I have determined that it is actually the baby holding Ben, not the other way around. Ben seems to think if he just superimposes some faces, we will all be fooled. Shame on him for underestimating our intelligenceses...es.
There. Quandry settled.
Some time ago, Ben worked at the St. Louis Cardinals stadium where Mark McGwire often had his steroids shipped including Human Growth Hormone. Do you think Ben got a job at said stadium in order to attempt to get his hands on HGH?
He also went on a "mission" trip to Honduras where I understand HGH is distributed like PEZ. Do you think Ben is taking HGH so the hand-me-downs from his baby are not too big on him?
I am very concerned.
Alvis
I am not sure about the stadium job, though I suspect what you say is true. However, I was on that trip to Honduras, and I clearly remember some shady dealings late at night in poorly lit alleyways. I am certain Ben was involved. Alvis, I don't think it is Ben who is taking the HGH, but it was Ben who injected it into Megan's womb. Of that I am also certain.
I think it is time for an intervention.
i must say this. at the delivery a nurse came over and said to me. that baby is already as big as you are. I don't know what that means but i think I like it.
by the way momma. i have a paper that i wrote in class this quarter, with your husband and a certain huffines in mind. is there an email i can send it to so you husband can read it or politely delete it and tell me he read it?
try houseofkee@hotmail.com.
I think the nurse was on to your schemes...
Post a Comment