Merry Christmas!
Well, we have been having a fun filled holiday season. We kicked it off with a visit to Poppop and BaWay's house in Ft. Myers. Uncle Andy and Aunt Jessica were there as well. We got down there Friday afternoon and the kids wanted to go swimming almost immediately. Since the big pool was a crisp 68 degrees, they went in the "little pool" aka hot tub. Poppop turned on the heater for it and it warmed up rather quickly. We had a big Christmas dinner Saturday night and opened presents after that. Some of the gift highlights were a box of 6 pairs of plastic princess shoes for Ceci along with a trunk of dress up clothes and a sparkly Care Bear, a remote control monster truck for Henry as well as a transformer (Starscream) and a solar system for his bedroom ceiling, a baby gym for Malcolm, a game system that you can play old 8 bit Nintendo games for Patrick, and a Sonicare toothbrush for me. Seriously, I am really excited about the toothbrush. After a walk on the beach at Sanibel Island Sunday morning, and a BBQ with the Cape Coral Rodis, we loaded up the car and came home Monday morning. For Christmas Eve mass at church.
That was another story.
Henry, a shepherd in the Christmas play, and Ceci, an angel, were in rare "I've been couped up in the car all day and have way more much energy than is either healthy or necessary" form. And let me add that pretty much everyone in the play was under the age of 5. It started as most of our church services, with the grown ups herding the children down the aisle. The shepherds, there were 2, were sitting on the right side. The angels, 5 or so in all, gathered together on the left. The shepherds really started the whole thing. Our shepherd in particular. They are pretty good friends, the two shepherds, and they were excited to be in their garb, who wouldn't be? But they began smiling at each other, then giggling, then making fart noises (the logical next step). Then it was time for them to stand up and look "sore afraid" and whatnot. Instead they began to push and squawk at each other. Their excitement spread to the sheep, as shepherds generally lead the sheep, and sheep are easily excited, especially our sheep, who were all 2 and under. The sheep, naturally, wandered up onto the altar. The shepherds, who were having a hard time standing in one place, wandered over to the angels. Well, this was a bad idea. As Mary and Joseph processed, led by the most adorable donkey I have ever seen, the squawking and giggling was slowly building, with new noises being added all the time. The shepherds, one angel (ours) and one lamb (a sister to the other shepherd) commenced dangling from the communion rail, stomping on the altar floor, which makes a very fun, loud boom sound, and generally crashing into each other. When the narrator said "then the Angel of the Lord appeared" our particular angel chose that moment to ROAR like a hippopotamus giving birth. By the time the story was done, and our soloist was singing, the frenzy was at it's fever pitch, with multiple children running back and forth across the front of the altar, climbing on the fancy red chairs, crashing into each other, and screaming in delight. I looked back at our priest, who was laughing, and around at the congregation, mostly horrified parents and amused grandparents, and I sighed. I'm pretty sure our Lord in Heaven was enjoying it, even if I was feeling completely and utterly embarrassed.
Patrick and I had a lot of fun shopping for the kids, but I must say, we did not have nearly as much fun as Uncle Ryan, apparently.
Her dream has been fulfilled. She is... Back Booty.
The biggest trash truck yet. Thanks soooo much Uncle Ryan.
He even got my taste right.
Christmas morning, after we had opened our presents, we were enjoying some chocolate chip muffins and having quite a conversation about Jesus. Henry wanted to know if Jesus got any presents, since it was his birthday. Then he informed us that Jesus comes to school with him and plays with him. (He is so sweet.) Ceci wanted to know if Jesus drives a car. (I said he rides in ours.)
At this moment, Henry is in a Daddy mandated time out. He is calling out "Daddy, I'm calm...can I get down?" (from his bed) When Patrick says, "No, I'll let you know when you can." He says,very dramatically and like the 4 year old that he is, "Oooh, I'll never get out!" It's so hard not to laugh sometimes.
We are currently enjoying a visit from the Caballero Kennedys. It is fun showing off our little town. Off to Satchel's! Enjoy your holiday season.
2 comments:
Aw, I miss you guys. Sounds like the Christmas pageant was in rare form this year.
I got some baby fever on Christmas eve when I was home with my mom, and I searched high and low for a pageant. The only one going was from my own alma mater (I'm the veteran of no fewer than three Christmas pageants), the Trinity United Methodist church. The kids were adorable.
One of the 2-year-old twins I take care of is named Becca and I sometimes call her "B." Yesterday I said "hey, can you please get down from there, B?" and she said very seriously "I'm B. I'm Brian."
Post a Comment