Tuesday, February 05, 2008

This is what 3 kids does to you...

So I am usually telling funny stories about the kids.  Well, I did something today that made me realize I need to start telling stories about myself.  A long, long time ago, I was on top of things.  I rarely did stupid things, and I always paid attention.  I hardly ever forgot what I was talking about mid-sentence, and I remembered everything I needed at Publix.  Then I got pregnant.  God uses the forgetfulness of pregnancy to prepare the never-before-forgetful for the complete obliteration of coherent daily thought that accompanies parenthood.  Especially parenting multiple children.  It seems the more children I have, the less I can keep track of anything. (money, time, conversation, the children themselves...)  Anyway, #3 has been the easiest baby ever, but upon his birth, my brain bid me a fond farewell.

About 4 weeks after Malcolm was born, I dropped my manual breast pump on the tile floor and it broke.  No big deal.  It wasn't working very well, mainly because it was 4 years old, so I was not too broken up about it.  I went to Target to buy a new one.  Although the Avent one served me well, I opted for a Medela this time, knowing the brand was reliable, you could use a standard size bottle, and it was $35 instead of $50.  
So, before you use these things, you are supposed to sterilize them.  It was a Saturday afternoon, I had just put the kids down, and Patrick had gone to a Gator football game, so I decided now was as good a time as any to  take care if it.  I fill a pot with water and put all the pump parts in it on the stove to boil.  It is supposed to boil for 10 minutes, so I look at the clock.  I go sit down at the table, and about 3 minutes later, Malcolm starts crying.  I go and get him from his crib and bring him into the living room to nurse him.  About 20 minutes later, the smoke alarm starts going off.  I am thinking, "That's strange, I'm not even cooking anything," and slowly get up and walk toward the kitchen.  As I come around the corner I realize, "The breast pump!"  I run into the kitchen and grab the pot off the stove.  Peering in the pot, I see that all the water had boiled out and the pieces had melted to the pot, ruining both the pump and the pot.  So, not only did I just practically set on fire $35, but I also covered another $150 in melted plastic breast pump.  I start to cry.
At the time of this story, Patrick did not own a cell phone, but feeling desperate and more than a little emotional, I call our friend Chris with whom Patrick attended the game.  Chris answers, and I say in a rather shaky voice, "Chris, can I talk to Patrick?"  He answers, "Can he call you back, I am in the concession line."  When Patrick calls back, I say between tears, "Tell me I'm not stupid!"  He very calmly says, "You're not stupid."  I tell him what I did. He gently reminds me that it is only a breast pump, and agrees with me when I say maybe I'll call the company.  So, I get off the phone with him and dial Medela, fully expecting them to laugh at me and tell me there is nothing they can do.  When the lady answers, I tell her my story and that I know it was my own stupid fault and I completely understand if there is nothing they can do.  I am hoping for a coupon or something.  She asks for my address and tells me they will overnight me a brand new pump on Monday.  She asked me to fax her a copy of the receipt. When I asked her why she was sending me a free one, she said, "Because you were honest.  These things happen." I cried for the third time that day.  

So, if you're going to buy a breast pump, go with a Medela.  They have great customer service.

More to come...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your children are great. thank you for today!

Anonymous said...

you are funny... and most definitely not stupid.

Anonymous said...

I think you should contact the pan maker, tell them what the pump company is doing for you, and see if they want to help out as well. You might want to mention your vast readership, and what good press they would expose themself to.

Mark

Kimberly said...

Ok, this is how I know I'm pregnant. I teared up at this story. I am so in sympathy.I'm so glad they were kind about it.

Alan & Tina said...

Alyson, I laughed SO hard at this!! You are an inspiration!