Friday, February 08, 2008

High Fructose Corn Syrup, the flavor of summer


Well, this may give you an idea of Wednesday's weather.  First, H & C had a special treat, a throwback for me, Minute Maid juice bars.  You know, they come in that paper wrapper and are loaded with red dye and HFCS.  They have been asking for them 3 times a day since then.  (Probably due to the addictive properties of the HFCS.)  So they got all sticky, and, naturally, I decided they needed a dip in the kiddie pool.  In February.  It was 85 degrees.  Welcome to Florida.  

Okay, so I never told the story that prompted me to write the last blog.  I will tell it quickly because I need to go clean.  On Tuesday, I was having some friends over and decided to make a quiche.  So, I half made up the quiche recipe.  I looked one up, then used asparagus instead of zuchinni, frozen pie crusts instead of a tart shell, and a different kind of cheese.  So, I saute the asparagus while the pie shells are thawing.  I pull them apart, throw in the asparagus, cheese, and egg mixture, and pop them in the oven, all while holding a conversation with my friend Erica.  (By the way, she is a phenomenal babysitter if you are interested.)  I go to get dressed or whatever I had to do while the quiches are cooking.  They finish just as my first guests are arriving.  The front one looks like it needs a few more minutes, but the back one looks beautiful.  I reach in and pull the back one out to put on the counter.  When I look down at it, I start to laugh.  When you buy frozen pie crusts, they come stacked together in the package.  There is a very thin paper liner between them.  In my haste, I never noticed the paper liner, and just put all the ingredients in over top of it.  Mmmm, baked pie shell liner.  Just like Grandma used to make.  

I bet my mom will say that's what I get for using frozen pie crust in the first place.

1 comment:

Alan & Tina said...

Alyson, I relate to this more than you could ever know. Keep cookin', baby!

Love~
Tina