Saturday, May 24, 2008

the true mini me

Today, we attended a birfday party for one Burton Scheer.  It was at that park over by St. Pat's for you Gainesvillians.  That is a great park, by the way.  Anyway, I was on my own with the trifecta as the Hubs was over helping Jason L. take down some soffits in his kitchen.  Suburbanites.  We are so into home improvement.  Anyway, so me -n- thakids went over to the party, which was a great time.  Until the goody bags came out.  They had girl bags and boy bags, and in the boy bags were an assortment of things that shoot, naturally.  One of these things shoots a little nerf-like arrow up in the air.  It is pretty fun.  So, Henry and I are standing outside of the pavillion, and he says, "I'm gonna shoot it over the roof."  Before I could get the sentence, "No, don't, it will get stuck up there!" out of my mouth, the arrow was on the roof.  So, I said, "Ok, I'll get something to throw up there and see if I can get it down."  I find a heavy piece of bark, but that doesn't work. (Mainly because my aim is bad) I am off to get one of those really heavy unopened green pinecone things that I saw a kid throwing around earlier, and when I come back, Henry and Cy are standing there, discussing logistics, I guess.  I think nothing of it and turn to look up at the roof.  I turn back just in time to see my lovely son throw a giant piece of cement into a crowd of people and small children standing in the pavillion, including his very own baby brother.  (He was aiming for the roof.  He has equally bad aim but surprising force.)  "Henry!  Go sit on the bench!"  Once I apologized to the crowd, I informed Henry that not only was I not getting the arrow down now, but he was going to wait in the car until we were ready to go.  (The dreaded car timeout.)  Now, I can't get too mad at him because he didn't intend to throw the cement into a crowd of people. Also because the part of his personality that inspires him to take matters into his own hands figuring he could do a better job comes from, well, me.  So, later we had a talk about letting Mommy take care of things.  And, lucky for him, Auntie Angie scored him another arrow gun.

No comments: