This weekend was the be all and end all to those in the Sun Country DANCE circuit. The Recital. Boy am I glad these things only come once a year. As longtime House of Kee readers may know, I don't exactly know what I am doing as a dance mom. Imagine my surprise when I received the handout informing us of the hair an make up requirements for our tiny dancers. After studying the "How to make a bun" handout, I practiced my bun for weeks, in part so I could get Ceci used to wearing one, and I am proud to say, I think I mastered it.
Make up is another story. They wanted the girls to wear blush (of course), red lipstick (they are on stage), dark eyeshadow (okay), mascara (really?), and black eyeliner (give me a break). I opted for the first three, mainly because at the dress rehearsal, I did the eyeliner while she squeezed her eyes shut (did not look good) and she flat out refused to wear the mascara ("too pokey!"). So, on the recital day, I didn't even mention the mascara, and before I could even tell her we weren't attempting the eyeliner, she said, "I don't want the pencil!" I would have liked to pass on the dark shadow as I think she looked like she had a black eye. (Just one, the other looked fine. Odd.)
So, we've got on tights and shoes, but will wait until we are in the parking lot of the performing arts center to do the big pouffy dress.
I know, I know. They were the prettiest dresses in the entire show. Miss Judy even said so.
So, you know me, I was one of the the backstage moms for her class. I had to round the girls up in order and shuffle them backstage and keep their make up from smudging. I had to watch the dance from the wings, but I didn't care. It was the cutest thing ever. After the dress rehearsal, Ceci came running off the stage, shouting, "Mommy, that was so much fun!" She was so excited for the recital the next day. Don't let her serious face fool you. This girl loves the stage. There was a wall of mirrors backstage, and she was all about doing her little recital dance and watching herself.
Before their number, we were waiting in the wings, these eight little angelic babies, and out on the stage, dancers are writhing on the floor as Axl Rose screeches, "Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day..." It was a really weird moment. Then, the big girls finish their dance and come huffing and puffing off the stage and our little babies tiptoe out to perform to "When you Wish Upon a Star." What a contrast.
Patrick said Henry wanted to get up there and dance by the end. He was dancing in the aisles. When the girls did a hip hop dance, he was dancing in Nana's lap. Who would have guessed. A dancing family. Well, after the Flaming Lips episode, I guess we all knew about Henry's phenomenal dancing ability.
1 comment:
I continue to be impressed. House of Kee, you WOW me!
Post a Comment