Monday, September 08, 2008

why I love Gator football

It brings all the riffraff back into town.

Before I elaborate, I have to tell a quick anecdote.  Henry came home from school today and said, "We have homework tonight."  I say, "Really?"  He replies, "Yeah, so I'll have to stay up late into the night to do my homework."

We had a surprise guest overnight Saturday after the game.  None other than Alvis Duncan, virgin youth pastor.  (Inside joke.)  The kids have not seen Mr. Alvis in 2 years, so although they claimed to remember him, it is doubtful.  So, Mr. Alvis got to help out with the Sunday morning routine, and I must say, he did a phenomenal job managing three children while I showered and dressed.  While I was getting ready, I heard Henry exclaim, "Ceci, stop that!  You are creating confusion!"  Confusion, as it turns out, is a pile of train and debris on the tracks.  So, then Henry got in on it and started creating confusion, and Mr. Alvis decided it was no longer confusion and taught Henry a new word--pandemonium.  I must say, for a guy with no kids, Mr. Alvis handles pandemonium with ease and grace.  Even when the children were running, screaming through the living room in their underwear, he was unruffled. They had a great time, and both wanted to know where "that guy" went when he did not ride home with us from church.  So, watch out Misters Ben, Mark, and Orie because Mr. Alvis is in the lead for favorite non-related uncle type.  (I must say, though, when Ceci heard Mr. Ben had pulled in the driveway on Saturday, she got uncharacteristically excited.)  Mr. Mark, you're going to have to step up your game.

4 comments:

The Duncans said...

Although he doesn't need urgent parenting tips (meaning, I am not pregnant), he couldn't be taught by anyone better. However, I'm not sure your kids are the best practice...they are far too well behaved.

Anonymous said...

a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved.

Watch your back Alvis.

kids are ungrateful, fickle, false, cowardly, covetous, and as long as you succeed they are yours entirely; they will offer you their blood, property, life and children; but when $h!T hits the fan they turn against you.

Mr. Mark

Anonymous said...

Well well Mr. Mark, at least when it does hit the fan they have liked me more than you. I now have one single goal in life, all my friends kids will like me more than Mark, shouldn't be very hard. Love ya Mark.

Aly- I loved seeing you and your flock of children even if I'm "that boy" to CC.

Sarah and Mark said...

I would just like to state for the record that, um, we would rather be loved by the Kee kids, all Machiavellian posturing aside.