Tuesday, October 14, 2008

the charm of speech impediments

One of my favorite things about Ceci is the way she talks right now.  Meredith said the other day, "I never realize how many words begin with L until I am around Ceci."  Ceci's best friend is Yiyi (Lily).  Ceci yoves to pway hoasies (horses with a NY accent) with Yiyi.  One of my favorites is a declaration she makes when she encounters and offensive odor:  "I fell a sinky fell!"  (I smell a stinky smell!)  I also like how she says skirt (ksirt) and special (feshal).  If only I could find her a feshal hoasie ksirt, she would yove it.  I hear they have some at Yand's End.

Malcolm is trying to talk.  And by that I mean he shouts constantly in a booming voice. He will be heard.  "MAMAMAMAMAM!   NONONONONONO!  NANANANANA!  DAAAAAAAAAAT!"  He tries to say a lot, and will repeat exclamations the kids make.  So I guess I will be hearing a lot about sinky fells, hoasies, and garbage trucks for a while.  (By the way, Henry wants to be one for Halloween.  Not sure how I'll make that costume...)  Speaking of costumes, do you know how hard it is to find a baby costume that is not the weight and thickness of a down overcoat.  Really?  We are in Florida.  You mean to tell me no one in the costume business realizes the need for those in warmer climates to have their babies in costume?  I thought about pulling out our old Barney & Betty Rubble costumes for Patrick & me and making Malcolm Bam Bam, but I think I got rid of those costumes.   

(this is where I had high hopes of inserting a scanned picture of P & Me from 2000 dressed as the Rubbles.  Alas, I don't know how to work the scanner.  Nor can I easily find the picture.)

So, the room rep woes continue as we close in on the blasted  (Insert Henry's school name here) Carnival this weekend.  I have to score 3 more cakes, 2 more cases of name brand soda, and 2 trays of desserts.  I also have to completely staff the Fishing Pond booth.  Once again I have waited until the last minute to tackle this project.  I will be calling parents tonight.  I sent out a preemptive email from which I got 1 (one) response.  Then my good friend, the servant-hearted Kelli W, volunteered to make 2 train cakes.  (You know, cakes in one of those train shaped pans) So I only have to get 3 more cakes.  Only 3.  That is what I keep telling myself.  The carnival is Sat. from 10-2, and it is competing with the museum's Butterfly Festival.  This does not bode well for the old carnival.  They have assured me that this is the worst of the room rep responsibilities.  I want to believe it...



3 comments:

Steph said...

If I were nearby, I'd bake you a cake. (mine usually cave in, so it would have to be a sheet cake). Just think, if we lived in the same town, we could piggy back our crazy mom duties we volunteer for - all in the name of our adorable children...
My favorite Ceci-ism is the "I just want to be awone! exclamation on my steps)

aly said...

She still says that.

erica said...

when i introduced myself to the rest of my "joining group" at ucg, one of the "interesting things" i said about myself was that i'd had a lifelong dream of being a room mother. definitely since preschool, at least. i picture you having a sort of e! true hollywood story type show, except getting behind all the glitz and glamor to how life as the room contact person has a stressful side...