***WARNING: This is a bit of a rant***
Yesterday afternoon, I had a random kidless hour to go do whatever, so, naturally I went-a-thrifting. I went first to Hospice because they usually have good toys, and I have been looking for Little People toys for the church nursery. They did not have any, but I did find a fantastic floor lamp that is exactly what I had been wanting for our bookshelf/ reading chair area. It was $4.99, exactly my price. After I left there, I decided to go to this thrift store that is much sketchier, and therefore should have even better deals. I am walking around this store, we will call it "Restful Roads," and they had a cute, albeit stained, little daisy ashtray for $2.99. Ok, a little high. Then I saw this funky tray-looking-thing hanging on the wall with a sign that said, "Mid-century Modern Tray, $25.99." Really? Did you put Mid-century Modern there so you could jack up the price? Then, I saw this retro china teapot and creamer set for $39.95. What?! I thought this was a thrift store? This is not ebay. If you want to get that kind of money for these things, you either have to have an antique store or be selling on ebay. They also had a wood dining table for $700. Yes.
$700. Now, I don't have a problem with them wanting to try to get more money for nice furniture, but that is what craigslist is for. And let's be realistic here, how many of the regular thrift store shoppers are going to pay that kind of money? Now, this is my opinion, but somebody who is willing to pay $700 for a dining room table is probably not going to be found shopping at "Restful Roads." Now, I will say, their clothing is much better priced (unlike Goodwill), and I found 2 pairs of shoes for the Ceece for $1 each. And, really, what do I know. Maybe they sell $700 tables and $40 tea sets all the time. I just know I'm not buying them.
6 comments:
Liked your warninng. Must be that time of the month.
BTW did I tell you I love that little mouth and nose picture of Henry on your blog page. So dog gone cute.
I thought of your post when I wrote it....
I totally agree. Those prices are crazy for a thrift store.Goodwill is so high that I barely go there. We have some great ones around that are properly cheap. I'm so cheap about thrifting I wait for the thrift store sales to get things for a 25 cents.
I use to live in Little Thrift Town in G-ville and I think "Restful Roads" is the absolute worst in selection and price. In terms of value,you can't beat the dumpster diving behind the store near Ward's (is it Outreach?)
Dumpster-diving? Did I hear dumpster diving?? I think I've found my people!
Post a Comment