Wednesday, February 25, 2009
child labor
Yesterday, I was in Publix (shocker). Now, if you know the Publix I shop in, then you know it is a haven for those with advanced style. This being Florida, there are several retirement areas in the vicinity, and they all bring their limobusses to our Publix. So, I am rounding the banana corner in produce when a particularly stylish woman on a motorized cart descends. We all know babies are a magnet for old people, and Malcolm is no exception with his sparkling eyes and jolly demeanor. This woman was wearing a bright turquoise ensemble complete with matching eyeliner applied to the lower lash line only. She said, "Look at her, she is beautiful!" referring to Malcolm although I thought she was referring to Ceci, so I didn't correct her. It actually wasn't until halfway through the conversation that I realized she thought Malcolm was a girl. By then it would have been awkward to correct her. Anyway, almost immediately I realized she was from New York. And once I responded her initial greeting, she asked me where I was from. (It's like a sixth sense) The she told me she had "only five" kids, and how much better New York was than Florida, except the weather, then she pointed to Malcolm and asked, "Does she work?" I, completely bewildered, answered, "Uh...no." She proceeded to tell me that if we were in NY, she (Malcolm) could work, and that all her kids worked. At this point I am envisioning young children in factories behind sewing machines, and wondering, "Was this during the war?" Then she says, "Well, it is a shame because she (Malcolm) could definitely model." OH! WORK! Of course. I agreed, she (Malcolm) was adorable and excused myself before Ceci realized this woman thought Malcolm was a girl and corrected her which would have been embarrassing all around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
bbbaaaaaaaahaaaaahahahaha
Very funny. People think Nora is a boy all the time. They're like, "Heeeeeey, buddy! What's up, little man?" And most of them aren't old!
Aly, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - it just so happens that I screwed things up and lost it, but I wanted you to know that I got it. Please keep posting comments for me, and I promise I won't accidentally delete them anymore!
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!
I've never been so glad I shop at the Frat Publix.
I guess that generation gets easily thrown off by the long locks. Her outfit sounded cool. I could see myself wearing something like that in 30 years. I won't even mention the "girl" thing to CJ and Jake. What will Jake call Malcster then? We already have the "Henry girl" for Ceci! He refers to her by that name very frequently, btw.
I was envisioning Big Malc wearing one of those signs reading "Sample Sale" and ushering people into the store.
Post a Comment