Saturday, February 14, 2009

nonfiction

For Christmas, my mom had given the kids gift cards to Build-A-Bear Workshop in the mall.  Ceci picked out this dog, which she named "Doggie Runaway" (ironic on many levels) and picked out roller skates and a leash (presumably so it will not be "Doggie Rollaway").  Then she proceeded to lead it around the mall, naturally, talking to it as she went.  

We have had a busy few days around here, hence the lack of substantial posts.  Ceci and Malcolm and I were playing a rousing game of "Don't Break the Ice" recently in which Ceci would hit a cube, I would hit a cube, Malcolm would hit 8 cubes.  Needless to say, the rounds were short.  Malcolm loved all the permitted banging.  He would continue to hammer at the ice well after it all fell through onto the floor, going "AH AH AH AH" the whole time.  He is really getting vocal.  He added the words "more" and  "doggie" to his repertoire this week.  Now he says Nana, Nanee, Daddy, Didi (Ceci), Henry (really, a variation that I can barely recognize, let alone spell), Leee-eye (Levi), Aaaa-ya (Ava), Yeah, No (naaaah! nah nah nah nah nah!), choo choo, down, and I also think he said bye bye yesterday.  He is also doing that thing where he babbles, but it mimics conversation.  While Patrick was saying grace tonight, Malcolm was also saying it in a low voice.  It was so cute.

Ceci is her usual unusual self.  So much of her you just have to see to believe.  As we were finishing dinner last night, she said, "Mommy, after we clear the table, let's dance!" Then she did this little arm dance move.  Miss Dance Teacher also told me that they have a dance named after Ceci.  Apparently she always does this little dance in there.

Henry is just loving school these days.  He is coming out with all kinds of information that surprises me.  Like this:

Ceci: (asks her new favorite question) Is God Jesus?
Me: Yes.
Henry: You know, there is also a rain god.  When you need rain, you can ask the rain god for rain, and some people do a dance.
Me: Where did you hear that? (please note, my tone was curious, not incredulous)
Henry:  I read it in a book at school.
Me:  Well, we don't believe that is true.  (Before I can explain that we believe there is just one God, but we can ask him for rain, and even do a dance if we want, he says...)
Henry:  I know. It's fiction.

Wow.  I didn't realize they teach the fiction/ nonfiction distinction in kindergarden.  I mean, I know some 30 year-olds that can't distinguish between the two.  He also told Patrick that morning that the cartoon "Horseland" is fiction because horses don't actually talk. I mean, he's right.  It is fiction.  Horses don't talk (per se).

On an unrelated note, I did make a felt crown that I alluded to two posts ago.  It was easy and turned out SO CUTE.  I will be making them for all my friend's kids.  Here is Hazey Potato Head (Ceci's nickname for her) sporting the new crown...



No comments: