Tuesday, March 31, 2009

drama, it's not just for teenagers

Yesterday, Malcolm had a vomit thing.  Of course.  Because we have gone something like 2 whole months without anyone vomiting, so it was about time.  I also had to take Ceci to the doctor for her 4 year visit and... shots.  This was ridiculous.  Malcolm was sick, whiny and pitiful in the stroller.  So desperate was I to keep him occupied that I gave him my cell phone, which I never do.  By never, I don't mean sometimes.  I mean absolutely never.    He somehow managed to lock my keypad, a trick that I don't know how to do or undo.  I couldn't dial or receive calls for the next hour.  I finally just shut the phone off, and when I turned it back on, it worked.  Anyway, the reason I was desperate enough to give him my cell phone was because Ceci was a screaming banshee about the shots.  Even though we were just trying to do the vision test.  So, they do the vision and the hearing, and then the shots.  She kicks and screams, I hold her down, you know the drill.  Once they are done, one would assume the drama would end.  Oh no.  She proceeded to limp down the hallway, holding her thighs where the band aids were.  There was a rather long line to check out, so we had to wait.  The whole time she wimpered and whined about wanting to be in her bed.  "I want ot laaaay dooowwwwnnnn!  I just want my beeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddd!"  When we finally made it out of there, we stopped for a milkshake, which only improved her mood slightly, and we went home where I put Malcolm back to bed and she watched a movie on the sofa.  "With a blaaaaaaaaaankie!"  Oy.

I forgot to mention the part of the appointment where she had to pee in a cup.  If anyone has any tips for getting a little girl to pee in a cup, I am open.  She managed to get it in the cup, on her skirt, on the floor, and on my pants.  Lovely.  

Malcolm was better and eating by 2:00.  Patrick is currently in bed sick.  Henry is home from school, not because he is sick, but because I was too lazy to make his lunch.  (attn: Mom of the Year)  Also, he slept until 7:30.  I didn't want to wake him in case he was sick.  I don't think he is, but he still may not make it to school today. 

4 comments:

Kathy said...

henry told me that he was worried about me and didn't want me to come by yesterday because he was afraid i could get malcom's bug. how sweet of him to look out for me :)

Steph said...

I hate those 4 yr old appts. Why that young? They have a year before they can go to school and a year to become more co-operative (with the eye test, mine have refused at times) and a year to be "bigger" about the shots. I don't get it. Sorry to hear about the throw-ups, they are the worst and we are prone to them too, so, glad we weren't smooching you all recently!!

LuraLynn said...

I can so relate. Drama is not limited to girls, either. I took Jacob to the dr. on 3/17 for a potential ear infection. I didn't tell him we were going to the dr., otherwise we wouldn't have been able to leave the yard. It was a post worthy moment. BTW, holding kids while others give them shots is against the law in my rule book. I stand in the hall.

theparakeet said...

oh my gosh. i am laughing out loud! I think my favorite is that henry is home because you didn't want to make his lunch. Hilarious. Oh, Ally. You always make me feel OK. I can do this. Mom-dom that is.