On Facebook, they have all these quizzes you can take. What Golden Girl are you? (I was Sophia) Which Anglican theologian are you? (Didn't take that one) What author are you? Patrick and I recently took that one. I was Jack Kerouac. I confess I have never read any of his books. I know, what kind of former English major am/was I? The kind who never had to read Jack Kerouac. Patrick was... Jane Austen. At first having never read any of her books, and having what I maintain is a bias against female authors, he was disgruntled. Then, in typical Patrick fashion, he began his research. He started Pride and Prejudice. He walks in the living room with it two nights ago and says to me, "This book is amazing! Mr. Bennet is hilarious. I am totally Jane Austen." Now he can't stop reading it. Expect a Jane Austen revolution in our house.
Also, I gave Beefcake Baby Malcolm a haircut: (Please ignore my own hair is this picture.)

4 comments:
You guys needs to come to PA so Patrick and Benjamin can talk Mr. Darcy. Good men! :)
I love it! (And BBM's haircut & the story of your friend at Publix. And good luck w/Mr. Raccoon.) Here's to time for reading good books!
Well done, Patrick. Lot's of people steer clear of Austen because of Jane Austen Chick Culture, which doesn't have much to do with the quality of her literature. Austen is not the sentimental sort, after all.
Interestingly, Austen's thought keeps on popping up in philosophy books like "After Virtue" by Alisdair MacIntyre.
Tell Patrick that I recommend Persausion as Austen's best work. I also suggest this book of by Peter J. Leithart at New St. Andrews College called Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen. http://www.amazon.com/Miniatures-Morals-Christian-Novels-Austen/dp/159128015X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240427366&sr=8-1
One of the chapters called "Jane Austen, Public Theologian" was published in First Things and is available online:
http://www.firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=286&var_recherche=Jane+Austen
Hahaha! My side hurts from laughing! First, hooray for Jane Austin, and Patrick! I love her books. Why do I have to ignore your hair? It's perfect Mommy hair. Something you will look back on and say, "Oh, I remember taking THAT picture" Love you all!
Post a Comment