Monday, May 11, 2009
buckle up, and hang on
So, people have lots of opinions. Some people think boys are easier than girls, some the other way around. I was of the opinion that girls are easier, mainly because of the sheer amount of energy involved in being a boy and, therefore, keeping up with a boy. Ceci has been much easier for me. Until now. Something happened when she turned four, and now everything requires an emotional meltdown. People would always say, "Yeah, boys are hard to keep up with, but girls are so whiny and emotional." Ceci was never really that whiny. Was. Now it is a minute by minute battle. It is me constantly saying, "Ok, Ceci, let's try that again, this time without whining." It's me constantly reminding her how to respond to a disappointment without her climbing aboard an emotional roller coaster. I wish my patience didn't run out so quickly. I wish I could say what I need to say in a calm, peaceful manner every time. I wish I never said, "STOP the WHINING!" But I do. Because I climb aboard that roller coaster, too.
Labels:
Ceci,
daily life,
parenting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're riding that roller coaster TOGETHER...and if sharing burdens is any consolation, we're riding it, too. And if we throw our hands up, may it be only to increase the intensity of the thrill. One of my most-used lines is from Aunt Barbara, "I'm sorry. I don't listen to whining. I can listen if you can say that without whining." I should put it on a tape & play it on loop.
Post a Comment