Sunday, June 14, 2009

stop me before I volunteer again!

Today, we were in the car, and Ceci said, "Mommy, I am trying to scratch my ear with the bottom of my foot like a doggie."  I said, "Good luck with that."  Then I hear, "I got it!"

We went swimming for almost two full hours today, yet I still hear Henry flipping around and crashing on the sofa in the living room.  Does his energy have an end? 

Well, we moved Malcolm into the bottom bunk this week, and Ceci now has her own room.  She loves it, and Malcolm is doing well.  I will have pictures soon.  We had tried to put him in the toddler bed, but he is, er, too big.  Patrick and I took apart the crib last week, and I said, "This could be the last time we ever do this!" and I made a sad face.  Though, really, I was not that sad.  Patrick was more like relieved.  "Yeah..." he said with that light at the end of the tunnel look in his eyes.   

Can anyone tell me why I can't stop volunteering for things?  I need to make myself a sign that says "Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should."  When I went to sign my kids up for VBS #2, they asked me if I wanted to be a helper.  I said yes.  WHY???  I just don't know.  I am helping in Ceci's class, which she will love.  Then, I went to the helper orientation, and they asked for volunteers to make "beads" out of strips of magazine pages.  I took a bag to do.  WHY??  Am I a glutton for punishment?  Am I not bored enough already that I have to lull myself into a mindless oblivion by repeatedly doing monotonous craft actions?  This is just at the end of a long year as class mom, in which, at one point, I received an email from a parent berating me for asking people if they would like to contribute$3 - $5 to get Mr. Teacher a gift card.  (This parent said in these tough times, it was insensitive of me to make such a request.  She claimed to know for a fact that any teacher would rather have 17 homemade Christmas cards than a $100 Visa Gift Card.  ANY teacher?  Cause I can think of a couple who would rather have the gift card.  But what do I know?  It is not like I was ever a teacher or anything.  Not that anyone ever gave me any gift card.  But I did have a rather impressive collection of resin angels from the dollar store.)  Anyway, what is wrong with me?  Why do I feel like I always have to do these things?  I would have really liked to go into Henry's class and read once a week.  But no, they needed a class mom, and I knew I could do it, so I did.  Even though I hate the phone, and hate asking people for things like food, money, or time volunteering to run, say, a booth at the school carnival.  (Which I got zero response for.  Not a single parent volunteered to run the booth.  I had to do it the entire time.  Sucker.)  So, I will be in Ceci's VBS class for three days this week.  I told them I could not do all five days.  Boundaries.  


1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I really had to learn this lesson too but I have gotten good at keeping my mouth shut the more children I get. I also have a resin angel from the dollar store from my time as a teacher and think the gift card idea was lovely. What is up with those resin angels?