Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Otherwise Known as Cheaty Mc Cheaterpants

So, I am reading this book. I'm not going to tell you the title because I am about accuse the author of something heinous. She ripped off Judy Blume. I don't care who you are, if you grew up in the 70's or 80's, you have most likely read a Judy Blume book. Some of her books are well known (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret...). Others are a little more obscure ( Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself, Deenie). Many are, shall we say, true to the adolescent experience. Well, the book this particular author ripped off was the Sally J. Freedman one. I won't bore you with details, but upon reading a particular passage where a character refers to bathroom tile as in the style of a bordello, lights flashed and sirens wailed. (In my head). A page or so before, I recall having the thought, "This character reminds me of Sally J. Freedman." Then, as if reading my mind, the author slips in this passage about the bordello bathroom, a direct rip off of Sally J. I then read both the original text and the passage in question to Patrick, the authority on all things literary (after Marthe, of course), and he agreed. I am so disgusted that I don't know if I can finish the book. It is a shame, because I was rather enjoying it. I mean, it was nominated for a National Book Award! I want to want to finish it. I must, I must, I must quell my disgust...

3 comments:

Carissa said...

How do you have time to read, blog, work and raise 3 children, not to mention cook amazing meals? You are a superhuman!

aly said...

Why, thank you. But I must confess, I actually cook half-assed meals.

Alan & Tina said...

How nice to sit down and catch up w/the blog tonight--I love how well you paint the pictures of life and how well the actual pictures support them! :) THANK YOU for keeping this up!