Tuesday, August 25, 2009

back 2 school

Much to her dismay, Ceci started school this year. I sent her last year for a few weeks, but neither of us were ready. This year was VPK, so I tried again. She is more into it than last year, but she is not exactly enamored. You know, she likes to have her own agenda, but school imposes its agenda on her. She's not into that. This will be a stretch for her, and I think it will be good. Yesterday she did not want to sit for circle time; she wanted to play with the barn. I guess she gave them a hard time. Today she was fine for circle time, but apparently was disgruntled about being in the back of the line. They tell me these things, and I just say, "Okay." What am I supposed to do? I mean we can have a little mother-daughter chat, I guess. I think I just have to give the teachers a heads up. If Ceci doesn't like something or doesn't want to do it, she is going to let you know. She is not one of those kids who just goes along with stuff. I'm not saying they have to give her what she wants or anything like that. She should follow the rules like anyone else. I'm just saying, if she doesn't like something, she will protest. Just FYI. I assume she will eventually catch on and go with the flow, but if you know Ceci at all, you know there is a possibility this will never happen. She is her own woman.
She is going to the same place Henry went, a small preschool right down the street. She has a little girl in her class whose big brother is one of Henry's buddies. Now if only Ceci would talk to her...
Here she is yesterday, the first day of VPK:


Now, Henry loves school. And he loves LOVES 1st grade. This is what he has told me so far about 1st grade:

1. The teacher doesn't raise her voice. (She must have specifically said this because he informed both Patrick and I that this is the case.)

That's it. I think he really likes it, though. I think he likes not being the low man on the totem pole. The classroom atmosphere is great for him. It is very quiet and peaceful. His teacher, speaks in a very soothing, mellow yet deliberate way. I have heard great things about her from my friend who teaches at the school. I think this is a good fit. Although, to my dismay, a certain friend from last year is in his class.
Here he is on his first day:

sniff sniff. my first grader!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all need to be stretched and made to do things we don't want to do....just look at all the crotchety old people you can't stand being around who never mastered that lesson. Still learning...Farmor

Steph said...

I think the teacher is a tattletale. Don't tell me she's never had a child who might not want to go with the flow someetimes, jeez. I would definately shrug it off like you do. It's not like she is screaming, teaching the others vulgar language or beating up on kids. How long has this teacher been teaching?

aly said...

Both the teacher and assistant teacher have been teaching less than 4 years. What can you do? Not everyone sets the behavior bar as low as we do...

Carissa said...

Your kiddos are so adorable and getting so big! Ceci and Ella sound like two of the same. Ella informed me after her first day of Kindergarten that the best part of the day was when I came to pick her up...not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Day 2 had a much different reaction. Today is Day 3 so, we'll see!