2. During the meetings, start every sentence with, "Well, when I was studying for my Ph. D. in English Lit..."
3. Turn every book into a metaphor for the imperialistic nature of the male sexual organ.
4. Never actually read the book, but act like an expert because you read the review on goodreads.com.
5. Unapologetically pull your Cliff's Notes out of your purse at the beginning of the meeting.
6. Whenever the topic veers off the book, loudly proclaim, "Are we here to have fun, or are we here to talk about the book?"
7. Have two bottles of wine before the meeting.
8. Refuse to read anything that was written before 1989.
9. Bring your kids.
10. At the end of the meeting, suggest everyone burns her book as a "cathartic release and to satisfy the mother-god" while beating on your sweat lodge drum and chanting the lyrics to "Another One Bites the Dust."
5 comments:
Those are great. I've never considered a book club, but it sounds like such a risk. What if someone chooses a really terrible book? I'm almost sure some month you'll get stuck with a really terrible book. Probably Ender's Game or The Martian Chronicles.
I've been in other book clubs, and that has happened. I just didn't read the book. What can I say, I'm a snob... I think you all know this about me.
you're not a snob...you don't lack in confidence
um, yes.
(and the word verification has characters in it that don't exist on my computer! what?!)
Funny, you did each one before our last meeting Aly...and yet my feelings are so offended and tender :(
Post a Comment