Monday, March 01, 2010

not very interesting to most people

As I have gotten older and had the Raging Hormones of Pregnancy, my hair has become curlier. And it has stayed that way. I tried to stop it. I cut it off last year in an attempt to avoid the curl, but all that did was enslave me to my flatiron. I don't like having short hair. So, I am just growing it out and letting it be itself. I just have one question. What is it with curly hair? Why does it look good one day and awful the next? Can someone help me out here? How do I get it to not be fuzzy? (Okay, that was more like 4 questions.) I have tried mousse, but it just really brings out the Jersey in my hair. I surrender. I have never known what to do with my hair. This is not a new thing.
This Wednesday is "Wacky Wednesday" at Ceci's school. They are supposed to wear their wackiest clothes. I asked the teacher if Ceci should dress like a normal person. Then she told me that Ceci "pipes to her own beat." She said that wasn't exactly the saying she was looking for, but it was early, and I knew what she meant.
I haven't read a book since November. I think it is time. Patrick got me Margaret Atwood's newest novel, The Year of the Flood, but I haven't started it yet. Maybe this week.
I have had a laundry epiphany recently. As longtime readers may remember, according to my children, not only is doing laundry my job, it is my main observable talent. So, I was pretty much ready to give away all our clothing except for seven outfits each. Said outfits would all be composed of jeans and black shirts, and I would do laundry once a week, put it away, and be done. Now, anyone who has known me for any length of time, frequent readers of this blog included, would know that this would never work for me nor would my clotheshorse daughter agree to it. I mean, she has to get it from somewhere, and that somewhere is her clotheshorse mother. So instead of going the Angelina Jolie route, I decided to stop sorting laundry. I just wash all of each person's clothes together, fold them, and put them away. I am done in minutes with that last part. It saves so much time. I can't even tell you. Everyone has their own basket, and when the basket is full, I wash its contents. Seriously, this has changed my life. I do about 12 loads of laundry a week, and this has just made it all infinitely easier. The downside is that because of Ceci's rainbow array of clothing, I tinted one light pink skirt blue. Stuck that one in the Goodwill bag. She has too many clothes anyway.

3 comments:

mhoyer said...

so before this epiphany of yours, were you sorting each person's laundry and washing separately or combining everyone's like colors in a load? the first sounds crazy

aly said...

I would have a laundry mountain of everyone's laundry on my floor in my bedroom, which I would then sort by like colors, wash, and fold so it became a folded laundry mountain on my bed, which would move to stacked laundry foothills in the various bedrooms until the kids messed them all up or I put them away. So, is that the second option?

Steph said...

HAHAHAHA! I am so sorry you got your laundry skills from your aunts. Don't you remember your mom's laundry rooms, both in NJ and FLA? Now they were something. As for the curly hair, having boys always made my hair curlier, maybe yours too? With my last two being boys, it's curlier then ever. I would suggest spray gel over a mousse, it controls the volume thing mousse gives you and then some kind of sculpting creme to scrunch on when dry to cut the frizz. Good luck...