But this has been on my mind...
Three and a half years ago, the first (Brooke) of my three closest friends moved back here. Then Meredith moved here about six months later, then Angie a month after that. It was wonderful. Two years of bliss that I didn't at all appreciate. Angie moved away six months ago, and Meredith is moving in about six weeks. (What gives?! Who is going to drag me to the gym? This is why I hate Gainesville. Everybody leaves.) So, I have been trying to make some new friends with kids at corresponding ages. (Not to replace my friends that abandoned me, -er, moved away. Just to enrich my social circle. Don't worry, Ang...) That's the criteria. I set up an interview process, and there is a five point inspection. I'm kidding. Anyway, making new friends is always dicey. I am a bit out of practice seeing as I have lived here so long and just had friends dropped in my lap via church and Young Life. So, I have been pursuing the kids school as my avenue. But it is a long process. I mean, not only do I have to like them (a daunting task, I know), but if we are going to do anything as families, our kids and husbands need to get along. (And you know how difficult Patrick is to get along with.) That's the thing about making friends now. We all have to like each other. Some of my children could be friends with a log. One of my children is a little more particular. (I wonder where she gets it.) And then there all the other factors. Do we have similar senses of humor? Similar expectations of friendship? Can they keep up with such an incredibly intelligent and witty family as ours? Do they like beer? (The parents, anyway.) Do they like to sit in the backyard and drink it while alternately watching/ ignoring the kids as they run wild? Are they confident enough in who they are that they are not intimidated by our razor sharp wit and astonishing good looks? Do they have a pool? Anyway, does anyone else have this problem? It would be funny to start a match.com type website for this. I bet there already is one.
6 comments:
welcome to my world. also, we like to use christopher guest as our litmus test. some how we always must bring it up during the first few times we hang out with people. if they find his movies hilarious then we can continue the relationship and see where it goes. if not, well, thanks for bringing the beer.
I'm also feeling your "my close friends never stay in Gainesville" pain. It's very annoying...
oops this is Miss America, not Jon. I didn't realize he was signed in instead of me :)
hahahaaa!!! i always feel like such a stalker when i try to make friends with the moms at Mira's preschool.
wait--Meredith's moving?
also, would Patrick be interested in going out for beer with Eric? Eric always talks about wanting to do this, but never, you know, asks him. . .
My favorites are:
do they like beer? do they have a pool?
I will be sure to add these to my list as we look for new friends.
Post a Comment