So, after a lovely evening with Len and Regan Moyer, we decide to hit the road. It was about 8:30, and naturally the children were melting down. I take the boys out to the carport where our car was parked. I am loading them in the car, and it is quite dark because I didn't turn on the carport light. I lean in the car to buckle up Malcolm. I feel what feels like a scratch on my calf and fur against my leg and think, "Wha- is that a cat?" I look down to see a raccoon clamped to my leg. Never in a million years did I expect to see a raccoon attached to my leg. I scream and start shaking my leg. Both driver side doors are open, and the raccoon attempts several times to climb in the back one. I am screaming, "No! No! Get out of here!" (Or maybe I am just screaming. I don't really know.) while simultaneously trying to climb on the roof of the car and shut the doors. I accomplish this goal only to see the raccoon attempting to scale the wheel in order to join me on the roof, staring STRAIGHT INTO MY EYES the entire time. Have you ever been stared down by a raccoon? I am still screaming and wondering where the hell all the people in the house are. Have they not heard me? No. I look in the front windows for a brief second, afraid to take my eyes off old Rocky down there, to see them talking. I scream, "PATRICK!" (because, really, it could have been anyone out screaming in the carport) I then see him move very fast to the door. He comes out, and the raccoon disappears, but only for a moment. He says," What's wrong?" to his wife who is sitting on the roof of the car (good thing we don't have a minivan). As he ushers me in the house, I tell him about the visitor, not that I have to because the visitor is back in no time. Patrick goes to open the door to get the raccoon out of there. The raccoon has other ideas. He charges the door. Yes, the door to the house. He was after me. Still staring straight at me. Patrick says, "Do you have a baseball bat?" to Len. Len produces a large metal bat, and Patrick charges out the door. A scene from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" ensues. Len is kinda walking back and forth to the laundry room saying, "Flashlight, where's the flashlight? Here. Wait, I need a weapon." He charges out the door with a one wood and a mag light, and he and Patrick proceed to search for the raccoon who had now vanished. Meanwhile, I am alternately hollering at Henry & Malcolm to stay in the car (I am terrified Malcolm is going to open the door) and examining the two small puncture wounds on my leg. If I looked hard enough, I could actually see the mouth print. Or maybe I imagined it.
They never did find our raccoon friend, and Regan was understandably beside herself as she has two small children and is now afraid to leave the house lest the raccoon mistake her for me, which, although unlikely, I would not rule out entirely. Also, they are supposed to have 25 people over tonight, and a rabid raccoon is not exactly what you are looking for as a hostess.
I hesitate to say I was attacked because I came out relatively unscathed, so let's just say I got into a tussle with a raccoon and will now spend the day in the ER waiting on my vaccine. I tried the Health Department, but they are out. Of course.
Last night, after we got home, Henry is having a glass of water, and I hear him say to Patrick, "This was not really a Family Fun Day." I believe Patrick said, "Well... it was an adventure."
7 comments:
I can't even type I am laughing so hard! OMG. I'm glad that it wasn't any worse. But I love that Len and Regan were looking for bats and flashlights. Seriously - I had to read this in two sections becuase I had to get a tissue. I laughed so hard I cried. Phew.
I was in too much shock and awe to laugh out loud until the last line. AMAZING!
I read this story through a "mother's eyes" and saw no hilarity (is that a word???) in it!!! Well, except for Len and Regan...whoever could they be???
I am glad everyone was OK. xo
bad news and good news:
bad news: animal services can't leave a trap because there is no way to identify any trap raccoons as THE raccoon.
good news: if our friend was rabid, he'll be dead within 10 days.
regan moyer
I am almost speechless. All Patrick told us was to read your blog when we ran into him at the grocery store about 15 minutes ago...of course we had to head straight home. This sounds absolutely horrifying, Al! I do appreciate that you live to tell! I hope you are feeling well...and don't develop rabies, of course.
I do confess though, it brings a whole new aspect to "What do you think Mr. Malcom is doing?"
This is amazing, and also unfortunate. At least you weren't affraid of Henry's glass of water. That's where I thought you were headed there. Hydrophobia status-post racoon bite is not good.
i can only imagine how much better this story is told in person!
Post a Comment