Thursday, September 23, 2010

the playground is no place for kids

Today, we were walking in the front door when the following conversation happened:

Me:  All right, make sure to hang up your backpacks.
Ceci: Today on the playground, Miguel held Josue down so I could kiss him.
Me: What!
Ceci:  Miguel held Josue down so I could kiss him.  He annoys me, so I kiss him.
Me:  (aghast) On the li- wait, where do you kiss him?
Ceci:  On the forehead, cheeks, wherever.
Me: Is Josue the only one you kiss?
Ceci:  No, I also kiss Joshua.
Me: (Sheesh!) Do the other girls kiss the boys?
Ceci:  Sometimes Lauren (I think, or maybe it was Amanda) does.
Me:  I guess we will have to talk to Daddy about this.  (Translation: I have no idea how to handle this.)

Do I leave it alone?  That is my instinct.  The most shocking thing is that Ceci has hardly ever mentioned boys, let alone talked about kissing them.  Where did this even come from?

Henry has been having some playground issues as well.  Apparently there is a roving band of boys who have been calling him and some of his friends offensive names like "wiener dog" and "hot dog."  I don't know that he gets the allusion, but it does bother him, so we have been talking about how to handle it.  It (the harassment) is not consistent, so it is taking a while to shut it down.

Needless to say, I will be joining them for lunch tomorrow.  You know me, I have to check the situation out for myself...

4 comments:

megan said...

man. parenting is hard. looking back at my own childhood it always seemed like parents had all the right answers. little did we know. good luck.

Nana said...

Just let me know if THE NANA has to schedule a lunch with Henry. You KNOW I will talk to those boys about it!

A said...

So, I had to laugh at this when CC said her friend "Amanda" was doing it too, because I got in trouble for the EXACT same thing in Kindergarden... no joke! I had to stand with my nose touching the wall for the rest of recess. Its got nothing to do with being interested in the boys.

Steph said...

hahaha! Ceci! Emi was kissing the boys on the playground in Kindergarten too, Not sure that is a comfort since she can be wild. Yes, go to lunch and playground time. You can casually ask the teacher while you are there if it's commonplace for the kids to call each other names and what is done about it when the teacher catches them. Then next time the boys start, tell Henry to get into earshot of the teachers and yell to the boys "What did you say?"