Monday, October 04, 2010

the one time I forget my night vision goggles

Today, Ceci and I were at the Hunters Crossing Publix (one... more... week...), and the power went out.  Out of no where.  We were in the back part of the store, and it was so dark that I could not see my hand in front of my face.  Thankfully, Ceci was in the cart.  She let out a little whimper (which she now denies), and I put my arms around her.  It was scary. In what felt like a full minute but was probably only 20 seconds, the generators kicked in, and dim lights came on.  When the lights came on, I realized there was this sheepish looking guy about a foot behind me who I guess (hope) was trying to navigate in the dark.  Had he bumped into me, I am not ashamed to say, I would have screamed.  Well, maybe just gasped, but possibly screamed.  (Which would have set off a Publix-wide freak-out-frenzy, I'm sure.)  Then I asked an associate where the marshmallows were, and he took me to them, as is Publix policy.  He was weird, though.  And at the checkout, the woman ahead of me said, "Before they had generators and the power went out, they would just let you leave without paying."  Somehow I find it hard to believe this was widely practiced, but who knows.  It made for a strange trip to Publix indeed.

(Oh, and for the neighbors, our Publix is re-opening October 14! One... more... week!)

Earlier, in the car, Ceci was telling me about what they learned in school.  They have been learning about the 5 senses.  She kept saying, "There are these things in your nose.  I can't remember what they are called."  As I am sure you can imagine, I guessed a lot of things, but none of them were right.  On the way home, she said, "I remember!  The things in your nose are oldfactory cells!"

3 comments:

A said...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR PUBLIX TO OPEN! :) oh, and the power went out at my house too, for like 10 minutes this afternoon. I wonder what was up...

Alan & Tina said...

I laughed out loud imagining the guy possibly bumping into you in the dark. :)

Steph said...

Jake is learning the 5 senses too! Must be a kindergarten thing. Love the "oldfactory"