Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Moonstruck

So, Wednesday morning, I was loading the kids into the car, Patrick was walking out the door, and we both heard this crazy, scraping metal noise coming from the laundry room.  We walk in and smell a faint burning smell.  Guess whose washer is broken!  It is an inexpensive fix when Patrick has the time.  There, my friends, is the caveat.  Estimated completion date: Dec. 4.  So what does that mean for our 14 loads a week laundry schedule. (I use the term "schedule" loosely.)  Well, I did the kids school clothes at my mom's on Saturday, but I was already behind in the laundry, and I needed to take care of it or we'd be running out of clothes in the next few days.  With Thanksgiving looming, finals and paragraph exams piling up, and a gradebook needing to be filled, I knew I could not spend Sunday in the laundromat with 3 kids, no less, as Patrick has much to grade for his UoP class.  So, I pursued the ultimate luxury.  I researched the cost of having someone else do my laundry.  I found an establishment on NW 34th that charges $.75 a pound AND had a coupon for 10 free pounds.  So yesterday, I walked into Don's Coin Laundry with 40 lbs. of laundry in a giant garbage bag, dropped it off and walked out the door.  What followed was the euphoria one feels when achieving something previously thought of as out of the realm of possibility.  As I am not one to reach for the stars (too lazy), I have not often felt this feeling.  The only times I can recall are all post-childbirth.   That achievement was forced upon me by the baby attempting to exit my body, so I take no actual credit for reaching for any stars there.  Furthermore, what American woman with her own washer and dryer (a luxury in its own right) has the excuse to drop her laundry off for someone else to do?  I am not a celebrity, a CEO, or an astronaut.  I am a part time community college teacher.  But when I walked out that door of Don's Coin Laundry with 40 lbs. of dirty clothes in my dust, I felt like Cher.  Minus the leather body suit and fishnets.  (But we do have similar hair.)

What do you think, could I pull it off?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

This post not only brought laughter and joy to my heart, it brought milk out my nose when I pictured you in fishnets and large hair teaching a class at santa fe. But only singing what you taught as if every lecture was a performance!