Tuesday, November 02, 2010

snapshots of community college

As I came in the door to my building, a young man who was in the class I subbed for yesterday was looking at me and nodding his head.  He said, "I was just thinking about you."  I said, "You were thinking about me?"  (translation: Creepy!)  He said, "Yeah, cause you helped me so much with the grammar stuff.  I wanted to see if you could help me some more today."  I told him I'd be in my (communal) office.

In my office, I read an essay with the word "skillz" used in it.  And another one where the girl wrote ALL her e's backwards.  And another one where someone listed the following as an advantage to having his roommate as a roommate: He is also single, so he brings home random women.

In my 11:00 class, none of my students raised their hands class when I asked who was voting today. :(

As I was walking to my 12:00 class, I saw two Prep Writing students sitting on a bench.  I overheard the thuggy one with dreads saying, "You have to look for a subject and verb in the first half, and another subject and verb after the FANBOYS.  Then you put a comma."  (This made my day, even though they aren't my students.)

In my 12:00 class, one of my students told me he was the class spokesperson and that no one saw the homework on the board yesterday, so I shouldn't count it.  (Then, everyone but him and two other people had it done.)  Maybe this works in high school, guy, but not here.  I show no mercy.

2 comments:

Sarah and Mark said...

If only I could get my prep writing students to look for subjects and verbs on both sides of their fanboys...
This made me smile.

Alan & Tina said...

All her e's backwards?? Surely that is a first. And I'm still getting over Ceci playing chess (and you playing, too. You're such a good mom!)