Monday, November 01, 2010

evolution of photographic torture

I was perusing the blogs and Facebook albums of my friends, looking at all their cutie kids in costume, and realized that this is the new way we torture each other with photographs.  In the old days (like, the 60's), you would have to sit in someone's living room, politely looking at 350 slides of the family's last vacation to Niagara Falls where Junior almost fell over the rail (twice!), and Sissy cried in every picture because she didn't like the raincoat.  But torturing others with photographs evolved, as torture does, and by the 80's, you'd be sitting at someone's kitchen table with a stack of 14 albums chronicling the birth and first 3 months of the couple's first born.  It has to be the firstborn; we all know the second kid's pictures never made it into an album.  Instead, they reside in a shoebox under the bed.  The third kid's film never got developed (Hey, it's the 80's.  There is still film.), and nobody took any pictures of any subsequent kids that may or may not have been born. 
Now, we are actually free to choose.  You don't have to read my blog.  If you do, you can ignore my pictures and snarky comments if you chose to.  I will never know.  I will never know if you look at my entire Facebook album, or just that one picture I made my profile shot.   Isn't that a relief?  No more listening to your friends drone on endlessly about the fun they had, the silly thing their kid said, or any of their many firmly held beliefs about child-rearing ... wait a second...

On that note, here are some of our Halloween shots...

 pumpkin carving is fun!

 self-portrait pumpkin
also, Ceci's pumpkin developed a flesh eating bacteria on its face.

 Don't we look excited for Halloween?

Ready to terrorize the neighborhood!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's all true, but the downside is that now I know all the kid stories before I see you - although, I guess that means actual adult conversations. Hmm...I guess you're right after all :)