Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Art of Dressing Children for School or Why I Go Insane Every Morning

One day, I will be a laundry ace.  All the underwear will be clean, no one will wear mismatched socks, and  I won't be spraying wrinkled pants with water and shaking them out.  Most likely, all my kids will be out of the house at this point.

Ideally, I'd like to pick out my children's outfits for the week on Sunday so that I don't have to think about it again.  (This means the clothes would actually have to be washed, dried, and folded in an orderly fashion.) I would put all the outfits in a little organizer for each day.  Then each morning, they could just waltz in their bedrooms and put the clothes on.  I could try to do this, but it still wouldn't matter because, while assembling their outfits is a snag in my disordered mornings, the more momentous snag is getting them to put on said outfits in a normal manner.

I guess it could be said that most children are not yet very logical.  Or at least not mine.  This must be why they all insist on getting dressed while wrapped in a blanket and standing on the bed.  Although I say pretty much every morning some variation of, "This would be much easier if you stood on the floor," it makes little to no difference.  Where do they get this from?  Can you imagine if I stood on my bed to get dressed?  How does this make any sense?  But every single morning they wobble and fall over several times while trying to get dressed standing on the bed, making the whole ordeal take twice as long.  Are mine the only ones?

I no longer help them get dressed.  It just makes me frustrated and grumpy.  So Malcolm went to school with his pants on backwards last week.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Reading this made me smile. Believe it or not, I can easily picture you as the mom who picks out all the clothes on Sunday and has them in organized bins. :) It seems like a good idea to not help them in order to avoid feeling frustrated... sooner or later Malcolm will figure out which way to wear his pants!

aly said...

One can only hope...