Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This much I know: I don't know much

So, the second thing in that Mennonite book I was talking about was something the flighty mom of the author said.  She was a quirky bird, this mama.  She said and did a lot of funny things and was probably my favorite character in the book.  The author, Rhoda, was asking her mom about her (Rhoda's) brothers and why they were so much more conservatively Mennonite than Rhoda's parents.  She had this to say:

"Oh, they'll mellow over time," said Mom.  "When you're young, faith is often a matter of rules.  What you should do and shouldn't do, that kind of thing.  But as you get older, you realize faith is really a matter of relationship - with God, with the people around you, with the members of your community."

I know I am not very old, but this really sums up what I have been working through both spiritually and emotionally.  In my twenties, everything was very black and white.  In my thirties, there is a lot more gray. (Especially in my hair.)  In fact, it (life, not my hair) is mostly gray, I feel.  I don't know the rules, and I don't know the answers.  I know one thing.  It all comes down to my relationships.

Recently we started listening to this band called Mumford & Sons.  They have a song called "Sigh No More" (also the name of the album) that has a chorus I really like:

Love that will not betray you,
dismay or enslave you,
It will set you free.
Be more like the man
you were made to be

There is a design,
An alignment to cry,
at my heart you'll see
The beauty of love
as it was made to be.


3 comments:

Alan & Tina said...

Wow I could really use a face to face visit w/you. :)

ben said...

that's good

Valerie said...

1. Love Mumford & Sons
2. It sounds like you and Caline have reached similar conclusions about different subjects (according to her blog).
3. I'm glad you shared 2 great passages from that book that I don't have time to read, so now I don't have to!