Monday, March 31, 2008

the city of brotherly sarcasm

I was reading an interview of Tina Fey, who is from Upper Darby, PA (a suburb of Philly for those of you who don't know) and came across this observation she made about being from Philadelphia.  It was so dead on, that I had to read it to Patrick, who then cracked up because he has been married to someone from that area for almost 9 years now, and lives this every day of his life.  (Really, I tone it down, but certain members of the family, oh, you know who you are, do not tone down anything.)

Readers Digest:  Your mom was one of your comedy inspirations.  Did you play to her at the dinner table?

Fey:  My whole family played to each other.  My mom's a dry wit.  Philadelphians have a smart-alecky humor.  A college roommate from the south said, "How come when I ask someone in your family a question, they give a smart-aleck answer before the real one?"  I think that's the difference between the North and the South.

(to read the whole interview, click here.)

I can think of a few more differences, but I'll spare yous the oratory.  



1 comment:

Alan & Tina said...

You come by your funny very naturally, I see!