Thursday, November 20, 2008

Burn!

I have had baby brain lately without the excuse of a newborn baby.  Last night, I was driving down 8th, heading to Maude's to discuss a book I barely read with my book club, and I was coming up the big hill and was like, "Where am I going?"  It took me a good 30 seconds to remember where I was going and why.  But that is not the worst of it.  

Two nights ago, I was making dinner.  Ceci was parked in front of a movie, probably Bambi II (did you know there was a sequel?) and Henry and Malcolm were playing in Malcolm's room.  I was making meatloaf, and I like to brown mine on the stove first, and then put it in the oven.  So, I had put it in the oven in the pan I browned it in because I can do that.  I took it out, set it on the counter, turned to do something, turned back, grabbed the handle of the lid with my bare hand, and, I am sorry to say, dropped the f-bomb loud enough for the kids to hear.  Thankfully, Henry and Malcolm had hit a screaming frenzy in the room, so they didn't hear me.  Ceci was too absorbed in the movie to even notice.  I dropped the lid within seconds, but still felt my fingers stick to it just a bit.  Then I am all disoriented, trying to figure out what to do, thinking, "What is the first aid for burns?  Am I supposed to run it under cold water?  Where's my Burt's Bees ointment, that always works.  Why does this hurt SO BAD!"  I find the ointment, and though I am trying frantically, I can't get the top off because two of my fingers are burned so I can't hold the container.  I finally smear it on, only to realize moments later that it is doing nothing but holding in the heat, so I wash it off, fill a glass with ice water and cook the rest of the dinner carrying around a glass with my thumb and two fingers in it.  Luckily, I have had 3 babies, so I can do a lot of things with one hand.  I burned my two fingers so badly they hurt for 4 hours.  Now they are all shiny and hard and blistery.  I heard once that all cooks are either burners or cutters.  You can guess which category I fall into...

5 comments:

erica said...

you poor thing! I've been accused of "mom brain" so many times, and i've never had a baby! I need to advertise my book club because so far it's just me!

Kathy said...

I came home from school the other day to turn on the oven to bake a french bread pizza, instead of turning on the oven to preheat I turned on the burner. Sarah came home and noticed that the burner was on and nothing on it. So I turned off the burner and turned the oven on. When my pizza was done I reached in the oven with my bare hand to grab the pizza out. Let's just say-I've had those moments.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hope that feels better.

Paul is an equal opportunity burner/cutter. He cut off the top of a finger at his restaurant earlier this year and has lots of battle scars on his hands and arms.

P.S. We're going to be in G'ville Fri-Sun, so I hope to see you guys.

theparakeet said...

OUCH!!

Steph said...

I'm a burner, have one on my wrist I will show off next week...