Monday, June 08, 2009

survival mode

I have Malcolm is his crib already.  I am writing this at 6:00 on Saturday night.  It is Day 6 of Patrick's 8 day conference in Daytona Beach.  It is not actually a conference.  He is there grading AP Government tests.  He is called a "reader."  I am not going to post this until he returns because I am paranoid about people knowing he is not here.  Here is how it has been going...

Day 1:  I spend the morning frantically cleaning the house.  Patrick leaves at about noon.  After school, I take the big kids swimming at Brooke's and put Malcolm down for a nap.  I attempt the aforementioned trip to Publix.  

Day 2:  I wake up to Malcolm screaming "Maaamaaaaa!!!" as he attempts to catapult himself headfirst out of his crib.  Fantastic.  Get to school late only to discover we forgot Henry's backpack.  I vow to do parent drop off tomorrow.  Hit the dollar store for more pool toys.  Then Target with the Mer.  That is the only time that day that I talk to an adult.  After school, I hit the pool by myself with 3 kids.  

Day 3:  I don't remember what happened on Day 3.  At some point, I had Malcolm in his crib where he repeatedly shouted "Leeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiii" (Levi) at the top of his lungs.  Oh, we went for pizza with Nana for dinner.  Then she took the 2 big kids to her house to sleep.

Day 4:  Nana watches Ceci and Malkie Babes so I can run a few errands and take Henry out for ice cream.  Neither of them will nap at her house, so I pick them up, and all 3 children fall asleep on the way home.  I take a scenic drive through the country with 3 sleeping kids in the backseat.  It was very nice.

Day 5:  I drag Ceci and Malcolm to a pizza party at Henry's school.  We come home, all nap (except Henry, who gets ice cream AGAIN because Nana took him out).  After naps, in a moment of sheer desperation, I load the kids into the car and drive to Super Wal Mart where I buy them each a toy.  We get home at 6:45, eat a quick dinner of quesadillas, and then... bedtime!  
  
Day 6:  Patrick calls (well, he calls every day).  Today, he tells me he's going to go see a movie with his buddies after they are done reading for the day.  Does he really need to tell me this?I think I will tell him this is the kind of thing to tell me after he returns.  Today we built a fort, videotaped ourselves dancing, went on a treasure hunt, and watched a lot of tv.    I didn't have the energy to leave the house.

Day 7:  Hasn't happened yet.  But I wish it was already over because...

Day 8:  He returns!

1 comment:

theparakeet said...

WOW. Double WOW.