Thursday, February 03, 2011

less is more (obviously)

I used to be a vocal supporter of the whole "Not So Big House" less is more movement.  I guess I still am.  But it is a lot of work.  I have a hard time in this little house.  I love when people tell me, "Oh, you just have to get rid of stuff."  I want to say, "Really? Oh, geez, I am glad you told me that.  I never would have thought of that on my own.  My regular once a month trip to the back door of Goodwill is really just a sightseeing mission."  I guess I'm a little bitter.  But really, I have no problem getting rid of stuff.  I just think I am not getting rid of enough stuff.

I love cool stuff.  I admit it.  I am a stuff person.  New stuff, old stuff, it doesn't really matter.  I love to thrift and have to be relentless in my editing of tchotchkys.  chotchkys. Hold on, let me google it.  tchotchkes.  Ceramic lamb planter? I'll take it.  Iridescent Jesus? Hanging in my hallway.  It was time for an intervention.  A few months ago, I intervened myself and decided on the "Do I love it?" rule.  I ask myself, "Do I love it?" (Duh.)  If the answer is no, I put it back.  It is really starting to work.  I went to Jax to go shopping with a few girlfriends 2 or 3 weekends ago.  We went to this big home store.  I bought 3 awesome things that I LOVE:

1.  A huge owl planter for outside my front door
2.  A fuschia christmas tree
3.  Ornaments for said tree.

I put back about 10 things that I only half liked, and went and got the huge planter that was almost my whole budget.  I don't regret it at all.  This was a big deal for me.

Now, I am ready for step two.

It is time to begin a big time pare down.  I live in a 1000 sq. ft. house, and it sure doesn't look like I am moving any time soon.  That means it is time to start bagging lots more stuff up for the Goodwill.  I am talking drastic stuff-reduction measures.  Who wants to join me?  Here is the plan:

(I officially started yesterday, so you are not too far behind if you are joining me)

Week 1:  Clothes
Do a quick edit today.  No more than 10 minutes.  Then, choose a day this weekend, do something bound to put you in a ruthless frame of mind (go grocery shopping at 5:00 on a Friday, try to mail a package at the post office, call customer service for help with your cell phone bill, etc.), and edit your closet again.  We'll meet again on Monday or Tuesday to discuss our successes.

This is as far as I have gotten.  I think Week 2 will be the kitchen if I am up to it.  I am going to try to get through Week 1 first.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I did this just before the holidays - it felt great to be rid of things we weren't even using anyway! I'm constantly going through the house clearing out items to donate, otherwise it just gets overwhelming. So since I've already done my overhaul, I'll be with you on the challenge in spirit :)

Valerie said...

1. I kept mentally "liking" different parts of that blog... like on FB. My favorite was "I intervened myself."
2. I keep an ongoing GW pile in the back of our car.
3. Your house is only 1,000 sq ft??? I guess that patio adds a lot of visual space.

aly said...

I'm glad you got my joke, Val.
I have an ongoing GW pile in the laundry room, but it is time for a more drastic take down of my belongings. I haven't decided for sure, but I might cut my wardrobe in half.
No one ever realizes how small our house is. I think it must be the courtyard. All the square footage is in the rooms, too. I mean, think about that hall bathroom. My dad doesn't even fit in it!

LuraLynn said...

I would take any of Malcom's hand me downs.

A said...

I'm with you! I need to get some more stuff out of this little house before #2 comes. I already feel claustrophobic with just one kid :)